Old Head of Kinsale Light

"Lispatrick, Co Cork, Ireland"


Built: 1853
Automated: 1987

"This light replaced an old 1814 light that had been placed too high and was often obscured by fog. This present light stands just above the sea, at the end of the promontory. Originally, it was painted white with two red bands. A fog signal, originally three cannons, was established here in 1893. The lantern and fog signal were upgraded in 1907. In 1972 the light was converted to electricity, and automated in 1987."



Navigational Options
Return to Twenty-second Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.