Old Wicklow Head Lights
"Wicklow, Co Wicklow, Ireland"
Built: "1781, 1818"
"The first lights built here in 1781 were twin octagonal towers. The upper, or rear, light (shown here at right) is located on Long Hill. The lower, or front, light has been demolished. This rear light on Long Hill was discontinued in 1818 when new lights were built. The new upper light (shown here at left) was built very close to the old front light that was torn down. The new front light was built much lower down the cliff. This new upper light was discontinued in 1863 when a new lightship, the Wicklow Swash, was anchored off Wicklow Head."
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.