South Rock Lightship

"Dun Laoghaire, Co Dublin, Ireland"


Built: 1877

"This lightvessel is currently anchored in Dun Laoghaire Harbour and is used as a training vessel by the Irish Lights. It was originally placed three-quarters of a mile seaward of the South Rock Lighthouse which, unfortunately, had been built in the wrong place. The lightship was originally black with a white stripe, but was changed to its present color of red in 1955."



Navigational Options
Return to Twenty-second Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.