Wicklow Head Light
"Wicklow, Co Wicklow, Ireland"
"This light was built along with a new upper light as the front, or lower, light to replace a pair of old lights at Wicklow Head. It is located much lower down the cliff from the old lights, just 121 feet above high water level. Improvements were made to this light in 1863 at the same time as the lightship Wicklow Swash was put into service off Wicklow Head. It was converted to gas in 1868, to incandescent paraffin vapour in 1906 and to electricity in 1976. This was one of the most 'popular' stations with lightkeepers on the entire Irish coast."
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.