"Youghal, Co Cork, Ireland"
"This harbour light, built of granite, sits on the western shore at the mouth of the River Blackwater where it opens into Youghal Bay. It is built on the site of the old Convent of St Anne 'light tower' that had been kept burning by the nuns for over 350 years from 1190 to 1542. The site was in darkness just over 300 years until this present light was built in 1852. The tower is 43 feet high and stands 78 feet above high water. It was converted to electricity in 1964. Capel Island, home of the tower that nearly become a lighthouse, sits half-a-mile offshore."
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.