Battery Point Light

"Crescent City, California"


Built: 1856
Automated: 1953
Decommissioned: 1965

"Originally called the Crescent City Lighthouse, this light sits on a small hill located about 200 yards off Battery Point along California's north coast, just south of the Oregon state line. During high tide, the hill is an island, but at low tide it is connected to the point by an isthmus. The 45 foot high brick tower rises through the center of the building. Decommissioned in 1965, it remained dark until 1982, when it was reestablished as a private aid to navigation known as Battery Point Lighthouse. It is now owned by Del Norte County and operates as a museum."



Navigational Options
Return to Thirty-seventh Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.