Heceta Head Light

"Florence, Oregon"


Built: 1894
Automated: 1963

"This 56 foot tall conical masonry tower was erected to guide ships along the Pacific coast, north of the Siuslaw River. Its first-order Fresnel lens, whose focal plane is 205 feet above sea level, casts a light 21 miles out to sea. It was built to light a dark area between Yaquina Head and Cape Arago, a distance of some 90 miles. Today, the historic assistant keeper's dwelling is operated as a bed and breakfast."



Navigational Options
Return to Forty-second Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.