North Head Light

"Ilwaco, Washington"


Built: 1898
Automated: 1961

"Located on the ocean side, north of Cape Disappointment, this light marks the Columbia River entrance for vessels traveling along the Pacific coast from the north. It is 65 feet tall with a focal plane of 194 feet above sea level. Conical in shape, it was built from dressed stone with a brick lining. When it was constructed, it received the first-order Fresnel lens from the Cape Disappointment Light. That lens was replaced in 1939 by the Coast Guard, and is on display at the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center at Fort Canby State Park."



Navigational Options
Return to Forty-second Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.