Point Bonita Light
"Located four miles west of the Golden Gate Bridge, this light marks the entrance to San Francisco Bay and is the second light built here. The first light, established in 1855, sat much higher (306 feet above the sea) but was shrouded in fog too much of the time. This present tower is anchored to a narrow ledge 124 feet above the sea and is reached via a suspension bridge built over a deep chasm. It was the last California lighthouse to be automated and is currently owned by the National Park Service."
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.