Twenty-eighth Lighthouse Expedition

June 12 - 22, 1997
Cape Cod Lighthouse Tour with the United States Lighthouse Society
Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut

June 12, 1997, Thursday

7:55 am
Left home.
9:35 am
We could see the Fort Gratiot Lighthouse from the Blue Water Bridge while crossing from Port Huron, Michigan into Sarnia, Ontario.
11:45 am
Stopped for donuts in Anacaster before getting on the 403.
12:50 pm
We are back in the USA, crossing the bridge near Niagara. After taking 31 minutes to go seven miles on the "Expressway", we got off for a short ways and maybe saved some time. It took us 41 minutes to go ten miles!
2:10 pm
Stopped for lunch at a Burger King at a plaza along the New York Turnpike. Left at 2:45.
6:30 pm
Arrived at the Red Roof Inn in Albany, N.Y. We had dinner at a nearby Olive Garden and at 8:00 returned to the Red Roof Inn.

June 13, 1997, Friday

8:35 am
Left the Red Roof Inn in Albany.
12:30 pm
Arrived at the Poplar Point Lighthouse in North Kingstown, R.I. It is on a private road so we weren't able to get very close. Left 12:40 and went to Wickford to eat lunch at the Seaport Tavern. Left at 1:25.
2:05 pm
Next stop was the Warwick Light at the end of Warwick Neck Ave. The light is on Coast Guard property on the end of the point. Left at 2:15.
2:30 pm
Arrived at a spot at the tip of Conimicut Point where we could see the Conimicut Light out in the water. Across the bay we could see Nyatt Point Light.
3:15 pm
Arrived at the Days Hotel on the Harbor in Providence, RI - unpacked and relaxed.
6:00 pm
Wayne Wheeler, President of the U.S. Lighthouse Society planned a "pre-glo" get acquainted party in the lounge of the hotel. We met a lot of the people who will be on the tour with us.
7:00 pm
We ate dinner in the India Point Cafe in the hotel with Catherine Barrett from MA and her sister Frances Caldwell from KY. Wayne Wheeler joined us as well.

June 14, 1997, Saturday

(Flag Day, beautiful, sunny and 85°)
7:00 am
Had breakfast at the Days Hotel in Providence.
8:05 am
Left the hotel on the tour bus. Our driver's name is Ken.
8:20 am
We passed the Borden Flats Light which is on a caisson in the Taunton River in the town of Fall River. It was built in 1881. The town operates it.
8:45 am
The bus arrived at the ferry dock in New Bedford. The ferry left at 9:05.
9:10 am
The ferry passed Butler Flats Light which was built in 1898. It is also a caisson light in New Bedford Harbor.
10:10 am
The ferry passed Nobska Light overlooking Wood Hole Harbor (we will visit here later today). It's fun to see the lightouses from the water side. We could see Buzzards Bay and Ned Point (no pictures.)
10:30 am
The ferry passed West Chop and East Chop Lightouses. We will visit both of these from landside, too.
10:45 am
Ferry arrived in Vineyard Haven on Martha's Vineyard and we boarded our tour bus. Our guide is Brian Weiland. He and his wife, Jennifer, are recent college graduates. She works for the Sheriff's Meadow Foundation counting endangered species of birds. They love the island and hope to stay permanently. The bus left at 10:55.
11:00 am
Arrived at West Chop Lighthouse from the landside this time. It was built in 1891. We took turns climbing the tower and Wayne gave lens lessons at the top. It's a 4th order lantern room with a 5th order fixed lens. Beautiful view from the top! We had our box lunches on the lawn. The keeper, Brian Johnson, is a U.S. Coast Guard employee involved with search and rescue and law enforcement. The lighthouse is serviced from Woods Hole. His wife, Connie and children Tad, Kelsey and Addison live in the keepers dwelling with him. The tower has 68 steps.
12:20 pm
Back on the bus. Brian, the bus driver, gave us lots of details about the island as he drove us around. Many famous people have summer homes on the island.
1:10 pm
We arrived at the Gay Head Lighthouse located at the western most tip of Martha's Vineyard. The original light was built in 1799 and the present tower in 1856. The keepers dwelling is gone. It once had a first order fresnel lens (which is now in the town of Edgartown) and has been replaced by a Carlisle & Finch optic, like an airport beacon. This area is part of an Indian reservation. The lighthouse is located on the top of beautiful red clay cliffs. We were able to climb the tower which had been especially opened for the society tour. The town name will be changed to Aquinnah, it's previous Indian name.
1:55 pm
Back on the bus. Enroute we passed the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis property. (278 acres). Brian also told us about Lucy Vincent who was the town librarian in the 1890's. She was very "fussy" about the English language and she cut out the words in books if she didn't like them. A beach was named after her and is now a nude beach (notice he didn't tell us that until we were back on the bus). We traveled to the town of Oak Bluffs and saw a few of the Gingerbread cottages. The area started out as a Methodist campgound during the revival of Jeremiah Peace in the 1800's. The camp area progressed to the present cottages which now total 323.
2:45 pm
Arrived at East Chop Lighthouse built in 1828. This was a photo opportunity. On our way to the ferry dock, author Shel Silverstein walked in front of our bus.
3:15 pm
Arrived at the ferry dock and we had 20 minutes to shop! (Wayne you must do better than this!) We boarded the ferry. We could see Poge Light way off in the distance (no pictures). The ferry left the dock at 4:00.
4:45 pm
The ferry arrived in Woods Hole (we passed Nobska Light again.) At 4:55 our tour bus left Woods Hole.
5:05 pm
We arrived at Nobska Lighthouse, the one we had seen from the boat twice. It was built in 1876. Captain Duncan, Payton Jones (who was dressed in an old Lighthouse Keepers uniform) and two other members of the Lighthouse Auxiliary greeted us and gave us a tour. Captain Duncan of the Coast Guard is responsible for the lights on the Cape, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket and Rhode Island. Elizabeth Pezalla, a college student from Vassar, was drawing ink and water color pictures of the lighthouse. She showed us several of her drawings. We told her we'd look for her paintings in the future when she's famous. As we were about to leave, a bride and groom, Patricia and Matthew Conroy and their wedding party arrived at the lighthouse by limo for photos. We got some great ones too. We left the Nobska Lighthouse at 6:10 pm.
7:00 pm
The International Inn in Hyannis will be our accomodations for the night. We had dinner (lobster and shrimp) in the hotel dining room with John & Elaine McIntosh, (both teachers) from PA. We walked down the main street after dinner and found some books and a "SOFT SANDS" (pun on Hard Rock) Cape Cod T-Shirt.

June 15, 1997, Sunday

(Happy Father's Day!)
7:15 am
Breakfast was a buffett in the International Inn dining room. At 8:15 the bus left.
8:45 am
We arrived at the South Hyannis Lighthouse ( it took us awhile to find it!) This was a photo opportunity. It is privately owned by U.S. Lighthouse Society members. They have made big changes to the original structure including putting couches in an oversized lantern room to watch the sunsets! We walked to the beach to get a better view and could see the Kennedy family compound off in the distance. We left at 9:05. Going back through town, we could see a replica of Brant Point Light from the bus.
9:40 am
We passed a Dairy Queen and the bus DID NOT STOP!
10:00 am
Arrived at the Chatham Lighthouse. This was the second one built on the Cape in 1808. A second house was build in 1877 with 2 towers to distinguish it from the one on the tip of Cape Cod. In 1923 one of the towers was dismantled and moved to Nauset Beach to replace the remaining light of the Three Sisters. This light is an active rescue station. The Lighthouse Auxiliary gave a tour and we climbed the tower (52 steps). It's a Carlisle & Finch optic. We left at 10:55.
11:15 am
We passed another Dairy Queen. Darn this bus, it sure doesn't behave like our car does on trips!
11:55 am
Arrived at Nauset Beach Lighthouse which we entered through the National Seashore at Salt Pond. We were greeted by Shirley Sabin of the Nauset Light Preservation Society and Ed Sabin a volunteer for the U.S. Park Service. We were given a tour by this charming couple who retired and moved to this area. The original light at this station consisted of three fifteen foot tall towers. There were three lights to distinguish the sight from the one light at Cape Cod and the two lights at Chatham. By 1923 (with the introduction of flashing lights earlier) the Three Sisters were removed and the steel tower from Chatham rebuilt on this sight. At the time, it was placed 200' from the edge of the cliff. Because of erosion, the light was in danger at 37' from the cliff, so it was moved in November 1996 to its present location - again 200' from the cliff. The keepers dwelling is still in danger and negotiations are in process with its owner and the Park Service to have it moved to a safer spot. We had a tour and the volunteers explained how the light was moved across the road and up a hill! We were able to climb this tower but not go into the lantern room. The light was relighted on May 10, 1997. We got our box lunches and hiked the 1/3 mile into the woods to see the Three Sisters of Nauset Lights - placed here for preservation. We had our picnic on the lawn. Shirley Sabin maintains a Web Site for the Nauset Light Prservation Society (Yahoo search for NLPS). The bus left the Nauset area at 2:05.
2:30 pm
Arrived at the Cape Cod (Highland) Lighthouse near Truro, MA. This spot was the home of the first lighthouse on the Cape in 1798. When the historical books talk of a light being "rebuilt", they are many times referring to the lantern rooms to make room for the fresnel lens. This light is surrounded by a golf course. It has recently been moved as it was in danger due to cliff erosion. The preservation society here spent many years raising the necessary funds. There is a post in the gound near the cliff showing where the center of the tower use to be. We walked to the edge of the cliff and were amazed at the drop off. The historical society will have tours of the house and tower when negotiations are completed for them to take it over from the U.S. Park Service. We spent about 1/2 hour at the Province Lands visitors center and left at 4:15.
4:30 pm
The bus dropped about 1/3 of us off in Provincetown for 1 1/2 hours, to walk the streets, see the sights and do some shopping. We were picked up and arrived at the Provincetown Inn at 6:15.
7:00 pm
Had dinner in the hotel dining room with Karen & Bud Slusher from KY.
9:00 pm
Wayne Wheeler gave a wonderful slide show and talked about the first ancient lighthouses from B.C. times to the Boston Lighthouse (the first in the United States). He also included some information about Minot's Ledge Light. We will see both of these tomorrow.

June 16, 1997, Monday

(another beautiful day)

Don took a picture of the Wood End Light from the porch in front of our room.

7:30 am
We had our breakfast at the Provincetown Inn and the bus left at 8:45.
8:55 am
Arrived at the boat dock and boarded the Daunty VI, an 85' whale watcher which Wayne rented for the day.
9:10 am
The boat left port and we could see Wood End Light and Long Point Light as we left port.
9:15 am
We were in front of Long Point Light (The times mentioned for each light on the boat trip is when the boat slowed down and Wayne started giving the info talk about each light.)
9:25 am
Wood End Light - current tower built in 1872. Same design at Long Point.
9:40 am
Race Point Light - built in 1872. The keepers house is still there and they hope to restore it. The boat then headed across the bay to Plymouth. The waters were fairly calm. We were able to visit the bridge and learn about the sonar and navagational equipment.
10:35 am
We arrived at the Plymouth Lighthouse. Several have been built at this location but have burned down. The current structure, built in 1843, is the oldest wooden lighthouse in the country. There are plans to move the structure back away from the cliff because of erosion.
10:50 am
Duxbury Pier Light - locally known as "Bug Light". It's a Coast Guard aid to navagation. It's a caisson structure now maintained by a group from Plymouth. It's solar operated.
11:50 am
Scituate Lighthouse - which is a warning about the Minot's Ledge ahead. There were two lanterns - the upper light was white and the lower light was red. It was later decided this arrangement was ineffective. The light was discontinued in 1860 when the new Minot's Ledge Light was built. It's now a private aid to navagation and the city has fixed up the keepers dwelling.
12:15 pm
Minot's Ledge Light. From here we can see the Boston skyline. This light is one of the ten most famous in the country. The first one, built in 1850, blew down in 1851. The current structure was completed in 1860. It has a 1-4-3 flash and the locals call it the "I love you" light. The keepers family lived ashore.
12:40 pm
Boston Lighthouse on Little Brewster Island. This is the oldest United States Light. The first light was built in 1716 and rebuilt in 1784. It has a 2nd order fresnel lens. It also had the first fog signal building in the country. It is the only manned U.S. lighthouse. Don was particularly happy to see this light. On a previous trip to Boston he had spent lots of time trying to see the light from shore. We now understand that in order to see this light, you must be on a boat.
12:55 pm
Nix's Mate Daymark - an aid to navagation.
1:10 pm
The Graves Lighthouse - built in 1905 and is a 98' high masonry tower. The original was a first order fresnel lens.
1:40 pm
Marblehead Light - 1897 - a skeleton tower 105' high.
1:55 pm
Baker's Island Light - first established in 1798 and rebuilt in 1821. It was originally twin towers at two heights. The taller one remains. The owner of this light is a member of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.
2:25 pm
Eastern Point Light - the construction was compelted in 1832.
2:45 pm
Cape Ann (Thacher Island) Twin Lighthouses - built in 1861. They are the only ones of the eight multiple lights on the Atlantic coast which remain intact. The north tower is owned by the Wildlife Association and is a Bed and Breakfast.
3:00 pm
Straitsmouth Island Light - can be seen at a distance. The seas are a little rough now but the captain decided to take us to see this one. The original was built in 1835 and rebuilt in 1896. It has been recently repainted and the Audubon Society has acquired the keepers house.
3:40 pm
Ten Pound Island Light - originally built in 1821. The current tower was built in 1881. The town of Glouster maintains this light.
3:50 pm
The boat arrived at the boat dock in Glouster. We thanked Captain Nick and his crew for a great day. It was sunny all day and the water was smooth sailing until the seas got a little choppy in the afternoon.
4:15 pm
The Atlantic Ocean Front Motor Inn will be our lodging for the night. We sat on the balcony with Wayne and enjoyed the view of the Cape Ann Lights out in the bay.
6:15 pm
We left for the Glouster House Restaurant and were entertained by Lenny, one of the owners, and learned the proper way to eat a lobster. We had dinner with Art Gerald from WA, Jim & Ann Stacy from GA and Dick & Pat Gorbett from IN. Arrived back at the Atlantic Ocean Front Motor Inn at 9:45. This tour has been an incredible three days with Wayne Wheeler and the United States Lighthouse Society. We had FANTASTIC weather, smooth seas and wonderful people to enjoy it with. Wayne sure knows how to make us lighthouse folks happy!

June 17, 1997, Tuesday

7:30 am
Had breakfast at the Atlantic and the bus left at 8:30 am and went to Logan Airport in Boston to drop off the "flyers" at 9:40.
11:20 am
We arrived back at the Provincetown Day Hotel to pick up our car. After saying goodbye to some wonderful lighthouse people, we left the hotel at 11:45 and headed east.
12:05 pm
We doubled back east to stop to take pictures of the Borden Flats Light in Fall River, MA as we weren't sure the picture Don took from the bus on the bridge last Saturday will turn out. We left at 12:10 and headed west.
1:00 pm
Arrived at the Pomham Rocks Light built on the East Providence River in 1871. The Providence skyline can be seen in the distance. This one took a while to locate but we could finally see it from Savin Point Park on Shore Rd. We then got permission from the water pollution plant ( at the end of Crest St.) to enter the grounds and take pictures as long as we promised to send a thank you note and a picture after we got home. (We did!)
2:00 pm
We were able to find Nayatt Point Light with the help of the mailman. It is difficult to find and is a private dwelling. It is the oldest keepers dwelling in RI. We got another look at the Conimicut Light from this side. We left at 2:05.
2:25 pm
Had lunch in Warren at the Lyric Cafe - good sandwiches.
3:10 pm
The Hog Island Shoal Light was difficult to find at first. We drove back and forth over the bridge and then took pictures on the bank on the south side of the river. We saw the Bristol Ferry Light from the same spot. We drove back over the bridge to the north side of the river and took close up pictures. A lantern room has been added in recent years.
4:15 pm
We drove through a marina and onto a bad road to take pictures of the Prudence Island Light across the river. Left at 4:25.
4:45 pm
Arrived at the West Main Lodge north of Newport in Middletown. At 6:00 we left the motel for downtown Newport.
6:25 pm
Arrived on Goat Island to see the Newport Harbor Light located on the Double Tree Hotel property. Left at 6:30 pm.
6:35 pm
Drove through the marina parking lot and walked onto the pavallion on the waters edge and saw the Rose Island Light (no pictures) in the middle of the river near the bridge.
7:15 pm
We were able to locate the Castle Hill Light by going to the Castle Inn and restaurant. We took a wood chip path at the end of the parking lot which turned into a grass path and then climbed along the rocks to get the right picture. We talked to a couple sitting there waiting for a fleet of boats sailing up from Annapolis, MD. It started to sprinkle and we left at 7:40 pm.
8:00 pm
We walked around Bowen Wharf in the Newport Harbor District. We had Ben & Jerry's ice cream for dinner (Life is uncertain, eat dessert first.) We left at 9:20 and arrived back at our motel at 10:10.

June 18, 1997, Wednesday

9:25 am
Left the West Main Lodge in Middleton.
9:50 am
Beavertail Light on the southern tip of Conanicut Island was our first stop. It's a grey granite tower. The fog horn started up while we were there. The museum was to open at 10:00 am, but we gave up at 10:15 and left.
10:25 am
The Dutch Island Light was next. We can see it from the marina at the end of Narragansett Ave. This one is a brown square brick tower. The fog is rolling in, we need to get pictures quick! Left at 10:35.
10:40 am
From the camping area (road signs to Ft. Getty) we could get much closer for pictures of Dutch Island Light. We can see the wall of fog approaching. Left at 10:45. We talked to Jim McLaughlin at the park entrance and he gave us directions to several lights. Thanks, Jim!
11:05 am
We arrived at Conanicut Point Light at the north end of the Island. It's a private residence and the house and tower are painted RED with white trim. The fog hasn't reached here yet! We'll try to stay ahead of it.
11:15 am
Left and went over the Jamestown Bridge and could see the Plum Beach Light out in the water as we crossed over. We drove to a residential area to take pictures. Sure needs paint and some TLC. No light. Left at 11:35.
12:30 pm
Arrived at Point Judith Light near the U.S. Coast Guard Station. The gate was open and we were able to walk on the grounds for pictures. The fog horn was sounding but visibility for the lighthouse was good. The top is painted brown and the bottom white. Left at 12:40.
12:50 pm
Lunch - good hamburgers at Pancho O'Malley's - an Irish/Mexican pub. We went to the Wooden Horse shop in Mariner's Square. We bought the Harbor Lights Stamp series, the Women of the Lights Cat's Meow series and the local Cat's Meow Lighthouse series - spent lots of $. Guess they were happy we stopped by! Left 2:25.
3:00 pm
We arrived in town of Watch Hill and walked out to the Watch Hill Light. Lots of neat shops in this town, but we left our $ in Pt. Judith! We parked in town and walked up the hill to a private road (can't drive, but you can walk) and walked down to the lighthouse past some beautiful homes (cottages?) It's drizzling now. Back in town, Diana got a Rhode Island T-shirt. (This is significant as Don usually gets the lighthouse T-shirts.) Left 3:50.
4:30 pm
Arrived at the Stonington Harbor Lighthouse. The museum is owned by the Stonington Historical Society. It is open May thru Oct. 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. Closed Mondays May, June, Sept., Oct.. They have a wonderful display of artifacts brought back from the Orient by local sailors and other memorabilia of early CT. We enjoyed visiting with the curator, Louise Pittaway, and Betty Ann Caldara (U of M grad - GO BLUE!) Parking is available at the park on Sandy Point at end of Water Street - short walk to lighthouse. We could see Latimer Reef Lighthouse in NY off shore, but it's too foggy to take a picture. We sat in the parking lot for a while trying to figure out our plan of action. Very pretty older homes in this area. Left at 5:50. We are by-passing Mystic because the lighthouse in the Seaport Musuem is a replica, one you can only see by boat cruise departing at 5:00 - missed it!
6:30 pm
Stopped and found a room in New London, CT.
7:30 pm
Went to the American Steak House for dinner and then walked around a local mall.
9:05 pm
Returned to the Red Roof Inn and called the kids.

June 19, 1997, Thursday

9:05 am
Left the Red Roof Inn and drove to downtown New London.
9:20 am
Arrived at the New London Harbor Light. There were signs PRIVATE PROPERTY, NO ADMITTANCE, KEEP OUT, NO PHOTOS on Pequot Ave. (Yea, right!) We could also see New London Ledge Light in the fog. Drove around town and finally found a bakery - Robertos on Bank St., and got some goodies and went to the beach park - admission. We're having a difficult time in New London - unfriendly lighthouse owners, no parking area, and hard to find donuts! All we want to do is kill a little time until the fog lifts to get our pictures. But we fooled 'em. The fog finally lifted and we can see 3 Lighthouses! - Avery Point, New London Harbor and New London Ledge.
10:30 am
Left New London and drove over the bridge to Groton.
11:00 am
Arrived at Eastern Point Park. Good view of New London Harbor Light and New London Ledge Light. Fog has lifted some more and sun is shining on the Harbor light. Still hazy on the Ledge (fog horn still going!) Took more pictures of both.
11:20 am
Arrived at Avery Point Light on the Univ. of CT property (follow "Project O" signs.) The New London Harbor is visible, but the New London Ledge is engulfed in the fog, bearly visible. Left at 11:30.
12:15 pm
Arrived at Lynde Point Lighthouse (enter Fenwick Golf Course and drive around, keep turning left and at a break between the houses, take picture!) The fog is rolling in off shore. We got a picture of an Osprey nest with the lighthouse in the background. (This one's for Dick Myers.)
12:35 pm
We ate lunch in Old Saybrook and talked to a nice lady in a bookstore who suggested it should be OK to take the road marked "private" just to take pictures and then leave. We returned to Lynde Point and got some close up pictures. Cannot see the breakwater light from here, BUT THE FOG HAS LIFTED, so we will head back to the main road to try and find Saybrook Breakwater Light.
1:25 pm
Finally could see Saybrook Breakwater Light. No Parking on streets, so Don got out and took pictures while Diana drove around. Left at 1:30. It's 88°.
2:25 pm
Headed to Sachems Head - Faulkner's Island Light is a ways off shore. We can see it but it won't be much of a picture. At least the fog isn't here. Left at 2:30 and headed to Mulberry Point. Took picture of the light from end of road. Left at 2:40.
3:20 pm
Arrived at Five Mile Point Light in Lighthouse Park south of East Haven and Southwest Ledge Light on breakwater. We walked around the park and took several pictures to get our $6.00 worth of parking. There is an antique merry-go-round here. Left at 4:05 - 92°.
4:45 pm
Arrived at Stratford Point Lighthouse on a U. S. Coast Guard station. It's a cute red and white tower. We spoke to John Winter who lives at the lighthouse with his family. They have been here three years but are now moving to New Orleans. He and his wife painted the house and tower last year. It is a BEAUTIFUL spot. He gave us a brochure - his wife did the drawing. We were able to climb the tower and the view was great. We saw a photo album with pictures taken before and after painting. Visitors must check in at the house before going on the grounds. After checking directions to the next lighthouse, we left at 5:30.
6:00 pm
In Seaside Park in Bridgeport, we could see Tongue Point Light (also known as Bridgeport Breakwater). There is an obstructed view because of the pier. It is on the United Illuminating Co. property, and is painted all black.
6:55 pm
Parked on St. Mary's by the Sea and took pictures of Penfield Reef Light (over 1 mile out in the water) and Black Rock Harbor Light. (We took pictures from two different parking spots, one in a parking permit area and one in a NO parking area. We had a great deal of difficulty finding this place and we just wanted to get our pictures and GET OUT!) Left at 7:10.
7:20 pm
Arrived at the Fairfield Inn in Fairfield, CT.
8:00 pm
Went to the nearby Europa Restaurant and had a very good dinner.
9:00 pm
Returned to the Fairfield Inn.

June 20, 1997, Friday

8:25 am
Left the Fairfield Inn.
8:45 am
We arrived at Sandy Beach in Norwalk. It's private but the guard was nice enough to let us in to take a picture. "Don't let anyone see the MI license plate.", he said. We could see Peck Ledge Light out in the water. The sun is not in a good location for pictures. It's a brown tower with a white mid-section. Left at 8:55.
9:10 am
Arrived at South Beach (Private) and could see Green's Ledge Light out in the water. Nice morning - sunny, warm, with lots of moms out walking babies in stollers and people walking their dogs. Left at 9:25 am and drove along South Beach and Crescent Beach in S. Norwalk. Drove through pretty little towns of Rowayton and Darien.
10:00 am
Arrived in Stamford at Fairview and Ocean and walked to end of the street to see Stamford Harbor Light (nice homes in this area.) We went to end of Shippan Ave. to see Green's Ledge Light. We could also see Stamford Harbor Light between the houses on Saddle Rock Dr. near Rogers. We spent some time figuring out how to get home from here! Left at 10:45.
10:50 am
Stopped for donuts.
11:25 am
Crossed the Hudson River. We saw the Tarrytown Lighthouse from the bridge - another trip we'll take the time to get closer and take pictures!
1:45 pm
Stopped for lunch at McDonald's in Hancock, NY on HWY 17 - we've had a beautiful drive through the mountains. Left at 2:20. Sign along here says America's Most Scenic Hwy. 1964-1965 - we believe it!
4:35 pm
Stopped at the Longhouse Lodge in Watkins Glen, NY - a very pretty room - fanciest we've had on the trip!
5:00 pm
We arrived at the Watkins Glen State Park and walked the Gorge. It's beautiful and damp!
6:45 pm
Had dinner at the Town House Restaurant.
7:45 pm
Left and drove around town (doesn't take long) and walked out on the dock at the marina on Seneca Lake.
9:15 pm
We went back to the Gorge in the State Park for the "Timespell Lazer and Light Show." It was beautiful in the Gorge with the colored lights on the falls.
10:20 pm
Returned to the Longhouse Lodge.

June 21, 1997, Saturday

8:45 am
Left the Longhouse Lodge in Watkins Glen.
9:00 am
Stopped at Wixsons on Hwy 14 for ice cream for breakfast (Life is uncertain.......). It was flavored soft serve and very good. They have a little gift shop - honey, syrup, fudge, taffy, baskets, etc. Great Spot!
10:20 am
Arrived at the New York Thruway.
12:10 pm
Had lunch at Taco Bell in Niagara Falls, NY. Diana had an instant winner and we got free cinnamon fries. Left at 12:40.
12:50 pm
Arrived at Bridge to Canada.
1:10 pm
Finally got through customs and toll booth.
4:15 pm
Crossed Bluewater bridge to USA and could see the Fort Gratiot Lighthouse, second time this trip.
5:35 pm
Stopped at the Dairy Queen in Drayton Plains - near home. The only DQ on this trip!
6:00 pm
HOME

Trip Totals: 58 Lighthouses photographed, 6 Lighthouses seen, but no pictures, 1886 driving miles (does not include tour miles), 10 days.

Navigational Options
Return to Expedition Home Page
Return to Lighthouse Home Page
Go to Alphabetical Index
Go to Geographical Index
Search the text of the Lighthouse Entries

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-1998 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.