Online Literary Criticism Collection
Links below don’t belong? CONTACT US!
Return to: Literary Criticism Collection Home | ipl2 Home
Sites about The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling
by Henry Fielding
Through a set of long cirumstances, Tom Jones flees the manor where he works, meets up with the woman he loves--Sophia, finds out that he is a lost heir, and marries the woman.
Characters: Tom Jones, Jenny Jones, Blifil, Squire Western, Sophia, Bridget, Squire Allworthy
Keywords: mistaken identies, adventures, affairs
Critical sites about The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling
- Reader Participation and Rationalism in Fielding's Tom Jones
- "In this paper, I am taking issue with Iser because his reading of Fielding does not seem quite close enough." Includes links to responses to this paper by other scholars, and the original author's followup responses.
- Author: Lothar Cerny
- From: Connotations: A Journal of Critical Debate 2.2 (1992): 137-162
- Tom Jones: The Comedy of Knowledge
- "Fielding's creation is one that relies on its readers for -- and to some extent involves them in -- its realization. As R.S. Crane noted in 1950, "we may be said to have grasped the plot in the full artistic sense only when we have analyzed [our] interplay of desires and expectations sequentially in relation to the incidents by which it is produced."But Crane himself failed to follow the method he suggested, and thirty-five years later, most accounts of Tom Jones, even those in the reader-response vein, are still synchronic -- they make no consistent attempt to follow the stages by which out "superior knowledge" is acquired. Such analyses fail to acknowledge the extent to which the judgments we make as readers implicate us in the same "final Catastrophe" that envelops the characters; the analyses allow us to judge with impunity and without remorse."
- Contains: Historical Context, Content Analysis
- Author: Unsworth, John
- From: Modern Language Quarterly 48.3 (September 1987)
Sorry! Our collection does not contain any other (non-critical) sites about The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling!
Do you know of any that you can recommend?
Couldn't find the information you were looking for?
Use these links to search for The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling outside the IPL.
Click a link below to automatically search that site for The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling:
Last Updated Mar 25, 2014