Copyright (c) 1933, C. Swedzicki.
San Ildefonso -- Circa 1920 to 1933.
This collection is typical of the commercial pottery made after 1918, when how to make and fire adull black on shiny black was discovered. The style has persisted to the present at San Ildefonso and also at Santa Clara, and in a somewhat degenerate modification, in Santo Domingo. Little of traditional design remains and serviceability is poor, all being sacrificed in the nmae of beauty and artistry. In this case the incentive for such innovation was commercial, and the results have been resoundingly successful.
Feedback about this site may be sent to: James A. Ringold