“Warwick, Rhode Island”
The first light at this site was built in 1827 to guide ships through the narrow strait between Warwick Neck and Patience Island on their route to the Providence River. It was a wood tower on a stone dwelling. The current 51-foot cylindrical cast-iron light tower is the last traditional lighthouse built in Rhode Island. It was originally closer to the shore but was moved 50 feet to the north the year after being undermined by the hurricane of 1938. The keeper’s dwelling is currently occupied by a Coast Guard service family.
- Navigational Options
- Return to Twenty-eighth Lighthouse Expedition
- Go to Alphabetical Listing
- Go to Geographical Listing
- Return to Lighthouse Home Page
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter
Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.