Chicago Harbor Light
The first lighthouse here was built in 1832 on the mainland at the mouth of the Chicago River. The present light (built in 1893) was also originally located there. It was moved to its present location at the south end of the north breakwater in 1919 and the attached side buildings added at that time. The building on one side of the tower houses a fog horn and the one on the other side is a boathouse.
- Navigational Options
- Return to Thirteenth Lighthouse Expedition
- Go to Alphabetical Listing
- Go to Geographical Listing
- Return to Lighthouse Home Page
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter
Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.