South Manitou Island Light
“South Manitou Island, Michigan”
This light sits on the southeast shore of the island. Its 104-foot-tall tower replaced a much shorter one that dated from 1858 when the entire station was rebuilt. The first lighthouse here was built in 1839. The present keeper’s dwelling is the one remaining from the 1858 rebuild. It is now a historical museum which is part of the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore.
- Navigational Options
- Return to Twelfth Lighthouse Expedition
- Go to Alphabetical Listing
- Go to Geographical Listing
- Return to Lighthouse Home Page
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter
Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.