Third Great Lakes Lighthouse Expedition
July 20 – 22, 1988
Nappanee & Lake Michigan
July 20, 1988, Wednesday
- 8:50 am
- Left Home
- 11:45 am
- Lunch & Dairy Queen in Kendallville, Indiana
- 12:30 pm
- Arrived in Nappanee – Amish Acres, Dinner, Play: "Plain and Fancy". Stayed in a Bed and Breakfast – Mr. & Mrs. Norman Wenger
July 21, 1988, Thursday
- 10:00 am
- Left Wengers. Through Nappanee and short drive through rural area and Breman.
- 1:43 pm
- Arrived at Old Lighthouse Museum in Michigan City, Indiana: Michigan City Light and East Pier Light. Museum hours: Tues-Sun 1-4 pm. Picnic lunch near Coast Guard Station. Walked to beach to take pictures. Left 3:20 pm.
- 4:21 pm
- Arrived in St. Joseph: North Pier Outer and Inner Lights. Left 4:30 pm
- 5:28 pm
- Arrived at South Haven South Pier Light. Red Lighthouse. Shopped in Old Harbor Village – dinner (hot dogs and ice cream). Left 8:20 after going back to the beach.
- 8:45 pm
- Arrived at Holland Light "Big Red". Walked on private property to get to it. Pretty sunset. Left 9:20 pm.
- 10:00 pm
- Arrived in Grand Haven.
July 22, 1988, Friday
- 9:40 am
- Left motel in Grand Haven.
- 9:45 am
- Arrived at State Park – Grand Haven South Inner and Outer Lights.
- 1:15 pm
- Went to Windmill Island. Left 3:13 pm.
- 6:15 pm
- Arrived Home.
Trip Totals: 8 Lighthouses, ? miles, 3 days.
- Navigational Options
- Return to Expedition Home Page
- Return to Lighthouse Home Page
- Go to Alphabetical Index
- Go to Geographical Index
- Search the text of the Lighthouse Entries
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter
Copyright © 1995 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the expressed permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.