Twentieth Lighthouse Expedition
August 26 – 27, 1994
Crystal Lake, Michigan Area
August 26, 1994, Sunday
Our Twenty-seventh Anniversary
- 9:15 am
- We left home and drove to Mt. Pleasant to take some things to Andrea. ( we had taken her to CMU the day before.) After taking her to lunch, we drove north. We stopped at Gwen Frostics Studio and Diana did some shopping.
- 5:00 pm
- Arrived at the Point Betsie Lighthouse. and took some pictures, then onto the Frankfort Light. (We had visited these lights previously on our second trip in 1987.)
- 6:00 pm
- Arrived at the Windemere Inn Bed & Breakfast in Beulah. We had dinner at the Brookside Inn then went back to Frankfort for a concert in the park and sunset pictures at the Frankfort Light.
August 27, 1994, Saturday
- 8:00 am
- Had breakfast at the Windermere – good – juice, fruit and scones. The Inn has been owned by Annie and Cameron Clark for the past three years. They have done a beautiful job of restoring and decorating the inn. He’s a University of Michigan grad. – GO BLUE! We met other couples from Southfield and Napierville, IL.
- 11:00 am
- Arrived in Empire and saw a new light – the Robert H. Manning Memorial Light dedicated in 1991 and located at Empire beach.
- 11:10 am
- Left Empire and continued along the shore. We took the Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive. We went to the Grand Traverse Light. The museum and gift shop were open. We bought the new Penrose book and another (Merry Christmas, Don.)
- 2:00 pm
- We arrived in Traverse City and went to a small art fair, got hot dogs for lunch and went to the state park to enjoy the lake front. It started to rain.
- 3:45 pm
- Left Traverse City and headed south.
- 6:30 pm
- Had dinner at Tony’s in Birch Run.
- 9:00 pm
- Arrived home.
Trip Totals: 4 Lighthouses (1 new), 2 days
- Navigational Options
- Return to Expedition Home Page
- Return to Lighthouse Home Page
- Go to Alphabetical Index
- Go to Geographical Index
- Search the text of the Lighthouse Entries
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter
Copyright © 1995, 1996 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.