Online Literary Criticism Collection
William Dean Howells (1837 – 1920)
|Periods: American: 1865-1900
American: 20th Century
A major figure in the realism and naturalism movements in American literature.
Our pages on these individual works by William Dean Howells
- The Later Novel: Howells
- This lengthy analysis of the author’s life and work includes sections on “The Dime Novel”, “Harriet Beecher Stowe”, “Lew Wallace”, “William Dean Howells”, “The Development of His Taste”, “Experiments in Fiction”, “Francis Marion Crawford”, “Reactions from Official Realism; Rococo Romance”, “Stephen Crane “, and “Jack London.”
- Contains: Extensive Bio, Criticism, Bibliography
- Author: Carl Van Doren
- From: The Cambridge History of English and American Literature Volume XVII: American Later National Literature, Part II
- William Dean Howells
- “FROM the Middle West came the principal exponent of native realism, as an author so prolific during the sixty years between his earliest book and his latest that he amounts almost to a library in himself, as editor and critic so influential that he amounts almost to a literary movement.”
- Contains: Criticism, Extensive Bio
- Author: Carl Van Doren
- From: The American Novel Chapter 6, sec. 2; New York: MacMillan, 1921
- The William Dean Howells Society Site
- “The Howells Society home page includes complete links to Howells’s works on theweb (including some not available elsewhere). It features secondary bibliographies, critical commentary from the discussion list HOWELLS-L, annotated links to other authors of the period, photographs, and information about the Howells Society.” (Description written by Donna Campbell)
- Contains: Pictures, Webliography, Bibliography, Works Available, Works List, Sketch
- Author: The William Dean Howells Society
Sorry. There are no biographical sites about William Dean Howells in the collection; do you know of any that you can recommend?
Sorry. There are no other sites about William Dean Howells in the collection; do you know of any that you can recommend?
Couldn’t find the information you were looking for?
Use these links to search for William Dean Howells outside the IPL.
Click a link below to automatically search that site for William Dean Howells:
William Dean Howells on the About network:
Factual information on William Dean Howells:
Search engines are also a great place to start research,
but they can lead to many commercial
and/or non-authoritative resources.
Alta Vista | Google | Yahoo!
Ixquick Metasearch |
All the Web.com |
Mamma Metasearch |
Find William Dean Howells‘s works in libraries:
Last Updated Apr 29, 2013