Online Literary Criticism Collection
Henry James, Jr. (1843 – 1916)
|Nationality: American||Periods: American: 1865-1900|
psychological realist author, writer of Portrait of a Lady and
Our pages on these individual works by Henry James, Jr.
- Henry James
- “Of the principal later novelists Howells held, on the whole, the broadest views. He built, with some limitations, on what he saw before him, not unconscious of Europe but aware that the way to a body of American fiction was action as well as argument and that in the production of a national literature imagination begets imagination.”
- Contains: Criticism, Extensive Bio
- Author: Carl Van Doren
- From: The American Novel Chapter 8; New York: MacMillan, 1921
- Henry James
- This lengthy analysis of the author’s life and work includes sections on “The Question of Jamesï¿½s Americanism”, “His Passion for Europeï¿½”, and “Americans in His Stories.”
- Contains: Extensive Bio, Criticism, Bibliography
- Author: Joseph Warren Beach
- From: The Cambridge History of English and American Literature Volume XVII: American Later National Literature, Part II
- A Biographic Mystery
- “[James] was known for explorations of the inward life: the unvoiced exchange and the drama of hidden motives. These were his skills, as well as a power, beyond that of any other man, to plumb the unknown potentialities of women. Two women, in particular, provoked his attention — a creative attention which claimed them through their untimely deaths.”
- Contains: Extensive Bio
- Author: Lyndall Gordon
- From: A Private Life of Henry James: Two Women and His Art Chapter 1; W. W. Norton & Company: 1998
- Henry James scholar’s Guide to Web Sites
- This site links to sites of interest about Henry James. Most, though, are e-texts, movie reviews, and a link to the James-L bulletin board.
- Contains: Works Available, Commentary, Webliography
- Author: Richard Hathaway
Couldn’t find the information you were looking for?
Use these links to search for Henry James, Jr. outside the IPL.
Click a link below to automatically search that site for Henry James, Jr.:
Henry James, Jr. on the About network:
Factual information on Henry James, Jr.:
Search engines are also a great place to start research,
but they can lead to many commercial
and/or non-authoritative resources.
Alta Vista | Google | Yahoo!
Ixquick Metasearch |
All the Web.com |
Mamma Metasearch |
Find Henry James, Jr.‘s works in libraries:
Last Updated Apr 29, 2013