This pathfinder is designed to assist in seeking out biographical information on authors. This information can at times be difficult to find. This should aid in searching out hard to find author information.
Author Yellow Pages- http://authoryellowpages.com/
This website includes a blurb about the author and also directs visitors to various other websites pertaining to the author.
Authors on the Web- http://www.authorsontheweb.com/
Various web listings of author’s websites.
Author Calendar- http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/indeksi.htm
This websites has a large list of author information. As well as biographical information there also is listings of all of the books they have written.
This website is mostly for finding used and out of print books but they also have over 300 author biographies.
This website has many resources to help with homework and research.
A division of A&E Network, Biograhy.com is specifically for biographical information on various individual. You can search for a specific author to obtain information on them.
Fantastic Fiction- http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/
There are thousands of authors who have information on this website. Usually the author has a brief blurb and a listing of all the books they have written.
LitWeb has over 500 author biographies from various periods of time.
Short Biographies- http://www.short-biographies.com/Author.php
This websites has biographies from people all over the world.
WebSmart Links to Young Adult Authors- http://www.rhml.lib.mo.us/authors.htm
Richmond Heights Library has set up a website with links to many young adult authors.
The IPL has a section on their website for authors. This section links to other websites that have information on various authors.
This IPL links to Contemporary Fiction. There are links here to various information on different types of fiction.
In the Ready Reference Biography section there is a link to various Authors.
For the youth searching materials they can check out the KidSpace Reading Zone. There is a section for authors.
For Authors A-K
For Authors L-Z
There are also local libraries that will have information about authors in their collections. Librarians are extremely helpful and will be willing to answer any questions. Feel free to ask them about your favorite author and they can help find out any information. They may also have databases that are specifically geared toward the kinds of information you are seeking. Often a password is required for these databases so it is essential to go to the local library to obtain that password.
You may be able to access one or more of these databases for free through your local library’s website, so be sure to contact your local library and find out.
- Infotrac-Gale Group-
- Biography Resource Center-there are many websites, articles, images, and
biographical information to be found in this database.
- Literature Resource Center-this database also searches through many articles and criticisms as well as biographical information.
- Literary Reference Center-The database EBSCO hosts this particular database. There are many author biographies as well as other literary references.
- Literature Online Reference Edition-this database has references and criticisms which also include information on author biographies.
- Wilson Web’s Biography Plus-this database only has biographical information.
These are a few books to start research. There are many other books in the same call number areas that will help with research as well. The call numbers listed below are areas to look in for further information.
D= Dewey Decimal Numbers
L= Library of Congress
- Contemporary authors autobiography series. (1984). Detroit, Mich: Gale Research.
- D= 920
- Gale Research Company. (1962). Contemporary authors; a bio-bibliographical guide to current writers in fiction, general nonfiction, poetry, journalism, drama, motion pictures, television and other fields. Detroit: Gale Research.
- D= 920
- Gale Research Company. (1971). Something about the author. Detroit, Mich: Gale Research.
- D= 920
- Gale Research Company. (1986). Something about the author. Autobiography series. Detroit, Mich: Gale Research.
- D= 920
- Popkin, M. (1978). Modern black writers. A Library of literary criticism. New York: Ungar.
- D= 809.889
- Pringle, D. (1996). St. James guide to fantasy writers. St. James guide to writers series. New York: St. James Press.
- D= 809.3876
- Salem Press. (2005). Cyclopedia of young adult authors. Pasadena, Calif: Salem Press.
- Showalter, E., Baechler, L ., & Litz, A. W. (1991). Modern American women writers. New York: Scribner.
- D= 809.8928
- Dewey Call Numbers:
- 809 Literary History and Criticism
- 810 American Literature in English
- 820 English and Old English Literature
- 840 Literatures of Romance Languages
- 920 Biography and Genealogy
- Library of Congress Call Numbers:
- The area around call number P is the Language and Literature section. These other areas are more specific areas.
- PN Literature
- PN451-497 Biography
- PN841 Black Literature
- PR English Literature
- PR111-116 British Women Authors
- PS American Literature
- PS126-138 American Biographies
- PS147-152 Women Authors
- PZ Fiction and Juvenile
This pathfinder was created by Beth Baldwin for LIS5916, Virtual Reference Environments, Dr. Lorri Mon, Florida State University, Fall 2007.