Links immediately following the image of the American Flag ( ) are links to other POTUS sites. All other links lead to sites elsewhere on the Web.
25th President of the United States
Nickname: "Idol of Ohio"
Father: William McKinley
Mother: Nancy Campbell Allison McKinley
Married: Ida Saxton (1847-1907), on January 25, 1871
Children: Katherine McKinley (1871-75); Ida McKinley (1873)
Education: Attended Allegheny College
Political Party: Republican
Other Government Positions:
- Member of U.S. House of Representatives, 1877-91
- Governor of Ohio, 1892-96
Presidential Salary: $50,000/year
|Year||Popular Votes||Electoral Votes|
|William J. Bryan||6,492,559||176|
|William J. Bryan||6,356,734||155|
- Secretary of State
- John Sherman (1897-98)
- William R. Day (1898)
- John M. Hay (1898-1901)
- Secretary of the Treasury
- Lyman J. Gage (1897-1901)
- Secretary of War
- Russel A. Alger (1897-99)
- Elihu Root (1899-1901)
- Attorney General
- Joseph McKenna (1897-98)
- John W. Griggs (1898-1901)
- Philander C. Knox (1901)
- Postmaster General
- James A. Gary (1897-98)
- Charles Emory Smith (1898-1901)
- Secretary of the Navy
- John D. Long (1897-1901)
- Secretary of the Interior
- Cornelius N. Bliss (1897-99)
- Ethan A. Hitchcock (1899-1901)
- Secretary of Agriculture
- James Wilson (1897-1901)
Supreme Court Appointments:
- Associate Justice
- Joseph McKenna (1898-1925)
- Spanish-American War
- William McKinley — from The Presidents of the United States of America
- Compiled by the White House.
- William McKinley — from American Presidents: Life Portraits — C-SPAN
- Biographical information, trivia, key events, video, and other reference materials. Website created to accompany C-SPAN’s 20th Anniversary Television Series, American Presidents: Life Portraits.
- William McKinley — from The American President
- From the Miller Center of Public Affairs at the University of Virginia, in addition to information on the Presidents themselves, they have first lady and cabinet member biographies, listings of presidential staff and advisers, and timelines detailing significant events in the lives of each administration.
- Giving a 1896 campaign speech from his front porch. (1:11)
- MP3 (562K)
- From the Vincent Voice Library at Michigan State University.
- William McKinley Early Motion Pictures — from the American Memory Historical Collections
- The search results from this Library of Congress special collection will lead to a number of early movies made by Thomas Edison’s motion picture company. These will take a while to download.
- National McKinley Birthplace Memorial
- A memorial, museum and library commemorating the birth of McKinley located in Niles, Ohio. Tourist information available.
©1996-2008. Robert S. Summers. All rights reserved.