This was proved by utilizing the IR spectrum to verify the C=O was not in the final product as it lacked the 1640 cm-1 peak. The melting point of 113-115 degrees C proved that the final product obtained was the E-Stilbene. The TLC plate proved that the E and the Z product was produced, show cased by the double intensity of the DCM spot to the final product’s spot, both which had an Rf of 0.92. The double intensity proved that both products were produced, but through heating and filtering, the Z-Stilbene was
As you can see from my sample that our aspirin sample contains a small amount of pure aspirin and a lot of salicylic acid. Therefore this means that my sample wasn’t pure as it still had remnants of salicylic acid which suggests to me that the reaction hadn’t been fully completed, however my sample did contain a small amount of pure aspirin which means that the reaction is partially had taken place. The sample would have been pure if there was no salicylic acid on the card then my sample would match the pure aspirin sample which means there would have been a fully completed reaction. 2. State what practical techniques used during the procedure and explain how they influence the purity of the sample.
The powder on the filter paper could've fell and this caused it to have a smaller percent purity, percent yield and also cause a lower absorbance and concentration of pure ASA. Another error would be not using a properly dried sample for the pure ASA in part C when making the crystals, this could have cause tye percent yield error. This would make a lower melting point. To prevent this from occurring next time there could be a dry sample that is completely dry and this would not alter the mass of the sample and this would make the solution have a more
This caused the precipitate amount to increase slightly but not as much as it could’ve if the salting out effect was used. The recovered benzoic acid’s boiling point was within the accepted range of 120C; meaning that the recovered compound was
The reason for this toxicity isn't because of the benzene ring found in acetaminophen, which can also cause liver damage, but rather a metabolite known as N-acetyl-p-benzoquinone imine (NAPQI). NAQPI reduces the amount of glutathione (an antioxidant that prevents damage to cells) within the liver and also damages the cells within the
When we tested methanol, triphenylmethan did not dissolve at room temperature, but did dissove when the methanol was hot, and then recrystalized into a solid when the mehtanol was cooled, so this was a suitable solvent. When we tested toluene, triphenylmethan dissolved right away at room temperature and was therefore determined to be not suitable for recrystalization. Had we been required to find a solvent for trimyristin, we would have undergone the same tests with various potential solvents for it. Extraction is the transfer of a solute from one phase to another. Adding a solvent to a solid that only dissolves certain compounds in the
Our reaction yielded 3.696% of phenacetin product. Hence, the formation of phenacetin via acetaminophen synthesis was not a success. In addition, the poor amount of product formed was not white colored crystals, instead the crystals were of black appearance. A main reason to suggest for the unsuccessful completion of phenacetin could be due to the usage of 2 mL 2.5M sodium hydroxide solution (NaOH)/H2O, instead of the recommended ethanolic sodium hydroxide solution, which was mainly recommended because of the stability and
The percentage yield was a yield of 110% of the sodium acetate. A source of error that was made during this experiment was the transferring of the baking soda to the flask some of the dissolved baking soda might have still been in the beaker after it was pouring into the flask. A solution to this error would be to have better skills or to have tried to get out a much of it as we could by getting a tool to try and scrape some of it out. Another source of error that was made during this experiment was the measuring of the baking soda, so it could have been more exact. A solution to this error would have been to use more precise scales like scales that measure to 3 decimal places rather than to 1 decimal place to get a more exact value instead of a less accurate measurement.
Multicomponent inclusion complex also reduces amount of βCD required for complexation, thus reducing the formulation cost (16, 17). In our previous study it has been reported that the βCD alone increases the solubility of DOM by 2.2 folds where as ternary complex comprising of DOM, βCD and citric acid (CA) increases the solubility of DOM by 76 folds (18). Riebero et al. (2004) have reported that the quaternary inclusion complex (QIC) of a weakly basic drug such as vinpocetine, βCD, tartaric acid and water soluble polymers enhances the solubility of vinpocetine than the ternary complex involving vinpocetine, βCD and tartaric acid. It was found that the polymers increased the stability constant of QIC by co-complex formation (19).