The effects of the ketone bodies on ammoniogenesis in spite of the urinary pH and bicarbonate falling is not in any way related to why there was a partial correction of the extracellular acidosis. The metabolic acidosis occurred from production of acid within the body. Metabolic acidosis can also occur when the kidneys are not removing enough acid from the body. When metabolic acidosis occurs, this will cause the pH level to be low which is likely due to increased production of hydrogen ions and the bodies inability to form bicarbonate within the kidneys. So that is why the ion exchange of the pH had an effect when it was infused.
In the Oxidative fermentation tube the media was a differential media that helps determine whether specific bacteria can oxidize or ferment to metabolize glucose. Citrate test checks to see which bacteria could citrate as the only source of carbon. A positive test shows that an alkaline environment ia created and that the pH level rose. The color of the media changed from green to blue if its positive. The Bile Esculin agar test has its medium as selective and differential.
However, for trials 1 and 2, the glucose concentration barely increased, possibly due to human error. (see table #2) In those first two trials, I mixed the bean solution with the water that rests on top of it, simply because I didn’t know that it would make a difference. After those two trials, I noticed that the results weren’t changing, and only then did I decide to dispose the bean water. Disposing the bean water made a dramatic difference, since the results increased drastically afterwards. (see table #2) The mixture with the bean water caused the solution to not be as concentrated, limiting the amount of oligosaccharides that the alpha galactosidase can break down, therefore resulting in a small amount of glucose concentration.
In the second step, the addition of sodium borohydride reduced the imine into another derivative, which was yellowish lime color. The solution turned clear when acids and anhydrides was added, which indicated the precipitate were dissolved. However, after refluxing for a while, yellow precipitates begin to form near the top of the flask. It was assumed that the remaining starting material was concentrated from a decrease volume to reappeared in solution. Nevertheless, this may have been a sign of contamination that will negatively affect the entire reaction.
It was expected for the Zinc to undergo a change but it was unexpected for the solution to change, from light blue to clear. Zn(s) +2H+(aq) Zn2+(aq)+H2(g) Reduction of copper Sulfate: As more zinc was added, the color of the solution changed from a light blue to a foggy white. The zinc bubbled and changed from silver to red. After the solution stopped bubbling this meant that the reaction was then complete. Shown below is the final product.Usually during a chemical reaction it is understable for there to a noticeable change, which is why it was expected to see a foggy white color during the reaction.
2-bromobutane would have been expected to react next, due to bromine being a better leaving group than chlorine, then 2-chlorobutane. Tert-butyl-chloride would be expected to never react in a SN2 reaction, as it is so unreactive under these conditions. For each of the molecules used in this experiment (except tert-butyl-chloride), the nucleophile, iodine, would attack the electrophilic carbon bonded to the leaving group, chloride or bromide. That leaving group would then take the
It was found that the compound was solid and white in color. The unknown compound was then tested solubility in water and the compound was soluble in the water. The flame test was performed for four know compound calcium chorine, sodium chlorine and ammonium chorine and the unknown compound. When unknown compound was put on the fire different color are produce. When we smell the unknown compound it indicated the presence of chorine.
This aqueous solution was then heated until all the dichloromethane evaporated off. An error could have occurred at this point in the experiment if the hot plate was too hot. If the hot plate was set above the boiling point of the ketone, the ketone could have evaporated of along with the dichloromethane. This would result in a lower percent yield of the ketone. To prevent this from happening, the hot plate should not exceed 130˚C, so no matter what ketone was isolated, it would not evaporated off.
Based on our initial observations(appearance) of solid #4 and the fact that they are not soluble in water and will sink, my partner and I have concluded that solid #4 are small pebbles. Solid #2 are small pieces of tin foil. We believe this because solid #2 isn’t soluble in water and doesn’t float just like tin foil. We also think this because of our initial observations(appearance). Nika and I believe that solid #6 is dried up purple food coloring because once you put the solid in water it dissolves and the water becomes purple(just like the color of our sludge).
Inoculate the test agar medium: There are two types of inoculation that can be done. Phenol Red Broth – Glucose, Lactose, Sucrose The test results are as follows: for glucose, lactose, and Unknown 361 tested A/-, meaning that acid was produced, but no gas and it tested K for sucrose meaning that there was alkaline production. Procedure: 1. Obtain one tube for each sugar, usually one for glucose, lactose, sucrose, mannitol. Do not get them confused, they look the same, it is suggested that they be labelled immediately if they are not already labelled.