If students and parents are to be asked, most of them will definitely approve in the President’s proposal for they are the ones who are experiencing the difficulty in paying fees. Others might say that pushing free college will make the readiness and student
Maddie Berlemann Mrs. Mercer Honors Freshman lit. March 2, 2017 Tuition Free College Even though opponents say that free college would not be an option because faculty would push for more pay, tuition free college is good for reasons such as making cities more successful, students would not be crushed by debt, students would value higher education and it would benefit the poor. According to Lawrence S. Wittner, “Free public higher education provides educational opportunities for all.”
States would have to agree to participate in the free tuition program. States that choose to participate in the free tuition program would have shared responsibility. The federal government would contribute 75% of the average cost of community colleges. States would contribute the remaining 25%. (“Fact”).
The first step, is making tuition free at public colleges and universities. Under the College for all Act, the government would cover 67% of the cost and the remaining percentage (33%) relies on the states. Next, he would stop the government from making a profit on student loans. Bernie is going to restore the formula which was in effect until 2006 that substantially lower student loan interest rates. Under the proposed college for all act, interest rates could never rise above 8.25% (www.sanders.senate.gov).
Most of the candidates in this election seem to overlook these topics. Jill Stein focuses on various topics directed towards education that the other candidates ignore. One point is, she envisions college tuition to be free. Regardless of FASFA and high paying jobs, some students are still unable to afford college tuition. What about the students whose parents make too much money to qualify for financial aid, but all of their parent’s money is going to bills?
“42% of college students in the United States fail to complete their degrees. Of those 42%, 15-25% will drop-out, and the remaining 17-27% will leave college, for reasons that are less clear.” There is obviously something wrong with our education system as a whole for so many students to drop out of college. Yet, individuals believe that college tuition should be free, and paid for by the government with taxpayer money. Secondary school should not be free because it should not replace the education that should be taught in high school, it will make individuals pay more taxes in order to pay for college tuition and it will motivate student to do good in school.
Bernie Sanders, a U.S. state senator and American politician once said, “We are moving in exactly the wrong direction in higher education. Forty years ago, tuition in some of the great American public universities and colleges was virtually free. Today, the cost is unaffordable for many working class families. Higher education must be a right for all-not just wealthy families. Public colleges and universities tuition-free?
Many people are talking about the possible downfalls of these schools, The Policy Director of Education Sector Kevin Carey, in his commentary “Why do you think there called For-Profit Colleges?” published in The Chronicle of Higher Education, July 25, 2010,addresses the topic of for profit colleges, students loans and higher education and argues that for profit schools are necessary despite the “shady” things and financial dangers going on because they fill a void left by traditional institutions, and they are to stay. He supports his claim by first calling attention to the negative parts of these universities, then the positive perspectives. He eventually infers there are perils included with the for-benefit. Carey’s purpose is to educate
Through the widening support to make higher education reasonably affordable, the concept of giving U.S. high school graduates the chance to go to college for free has gained political backing. In 2015, President Barack Obama put forward a national, free community college project that is being looked at by Congress right now. This plan would “grant free tuition to any student enrolled at least halftime with a 2.5 grade-point average, and with a family income under $200,000.” Recently, Oregon and Tennessee have passed similar plans.
It is even known that in the year 2018 McDonalds is insisting for their employees to have a high school diploma or to at least still be in school. So if you think about how a low paying job like McDonalds is insisting for a diploma imagine the level of education better paying jobs like fireman or police officers will be asking for in the future. Many Americans disagree with free education since in their eyes, they can’t see the U.S. being capable of paying off everyone’s tuition. Their primary argument is that the U.S is already in debt if they were to pay for millions of student’s tuition it would devastate us economically. Its effects could include
As the month of November comes along annually, every single high school senior is forced to decide which path they are going to take after graduating. For some, it is easy to choose which college to attend and how to pay for it. But, for many, it is extremely difficult to figure out a way to get the funds for college. So, they choose the community college route. Community college is drastically cheaper than tuition at a four year university.
Free college sounds great. It almost sounds too good to be true—because it is. With that said, free college is a great idea, and it would actually be a convenient resource. But it is simply just an idea that can not work in our current society and government in the United States. High student loan debt is a problem that should be fixed, yet the government should not pass reforms that will only temporarily relieve the issue but instead focus on reconstructing the college system itself.
Attending a college/university is a dream that every young teenager dreams about, sadly a lot them eventually come to the realization that college and universities are too expensive for them to even afford. That is why many will just choose to go straight into the workforce right after the graduate highschool. Sometimes even community college is too expensive for them. Obama is trying to tackle this problem by proposing his idea of making Community College tuition free for all students. Normally I would agree and say this is a wonderful proposal but after reading over Joanne Jacobs’ article “As He Promotes It, Some Question Obama’s Free Community College Idea,” I do not agree with his idea of making community college free.
Today’s education system seems to be a problem in America because the society feels they are not receiving a fair opportunity to succeed. Funding College can have a negative outcome because colleges may become overcrowded and community college colleague’s wages may decrease. Degrees wouldn’t mean as much and taxes may increase. Community college being funded by the government can also have a negative impact on universities because everyone would go to a community before going to a university which could cause many problems. Funding college would add to the nation’s debt because the government would have to improve schools by reconstructing it, so more people would be able to attend the school.
Community College is a great opportunity for many to get your degree at a very cheap price. It is an opportunity for lower income families students to be successful. I simply disagree with the fact of making community college free for students because it has been proven that the success rate at America's community college's is extremely low. Furthermore, it would be a waste of time and tax dollars of hardworking middle-class Americans.