INTRODUCTION As far as the world knows, tsunamis, earthquakes, hurricanes, flood, fire, etc, are the most dangerous and popular disasters which causes huge damage to mankind. But, blizzards are also disasters which causes loss of life and property similar to any other disaster. Blizzards are most common disaster in the North Eastern countries. They are nothing heavy and ferocious winter storms along with strong wind of about 40 miles per hour. Blizzard can last for two hours.
The United States is essentially the world's capital of tornadoes, because of the fluke geography. Tornadoes most often happen in the tornado alley, but they can happen anywhere. Tornados can happen at any time of the year. Opening windows or hiding under a bridge during a tornado, can be really dangerous. Tornado seasons cannot be forecasted.
Frostbite happens when the skin and tissues freeze and become damaged due to exposure to freezing temperatures. Commonly affected areas include the feet, hands (especially the fingers), nose, cheeks, and ears. Frostbite can be mild or severe. Mild damage may be reversible, but severe frostbite may result in permanent tissue death or loss. CAUSES This condition is caused by exposing skin to freezing temperatures.
It showed no mercy. No compassion. No kindness. The frigid temperatures, high winds and snowfall were major factors in the death toll being so high. Someone even wrote a song titled “The Murderous Blizzard”.
74% of them are weak but they still have a significant effect on humans and nature. However the other 26% can be far more detrimental. Tornadoes are different to other natural disasters because they are confined to a small area. Although hurricanes may have a higher total density, the density of the energy in a tornado can be higher. Tornadoes typically kill 60-80 people per annum and injure more than 1500 people.
In Ethan Frome, the people of Starkfield endure the darkest and coldest of winters. Ethan Frome himself has been “in Starkfield too many winters. Most of the smart ones get away” (12). Everything is “snowed under”(16) and the “winter night itself [descends] layer by layer” (19). The weight of the snow bends the trees and covers the town in white -- compared the darkness that lies below.
There was a sudden noise that surprised him. He tried it again. And again, in the air, before they could fall to the snow, the drops of water became ice that broke with a noise. He knew that at 50 below zero water from the mouth made a noise when it hit the snow. But this had done that in the air.”(London, p.65).
Natural disasters like floods, in mountains floods can result in heavy rain or sudden snow melts. Fires, can be started by lightning, human carelessness, or arson, and can spread very rapidly. Winter storms; you need to pay attention to weather forecasts in your area and stay at home if possible until roads are clear, downed electrical wires are cleared, and services restore. Hurricanes and tornadoes, West Virginia is not a typical hurricane or a tornado path, however, very high wind sometimes with heavy rain, can create emergency conditions. As said in
Introduction Snow blindness is a severe form of photokeratitis or radiation keratitis1, inflammation of the cornea due to exposure to ultraviolet radiation (UVR) reflected off of snow and ice, normally at high altitudes as the atmosphere is thinner. Extreme cold temperatures and a dry environment can also contribute to snow blindness, as snow blindness is sometimes also referred to as the freezing and drying of the corneal surface.2 Snow blindness is usually associated to skiing, mountain climbing, snowboarding, and snowmobiling;2 as snow can reflect up to 80% of UVR.3This condition results from eye exposure to UV light for long periods of time. Signs and Symptoms The longer the eyes are exposed to the UVB, the more severe the signs and symptoms. Snow blindness signs and symptoms occur
Severe wind gusts were whipping across the sky as the temperature was plummeting rapidly. There were different shades of dark and light clouds swirling all around in a wicked looking and angry sky. Then the sleet like snow started striking my face like a missile stinging each little nerve. Panic struck me and I wanted to run and take cover, but there was no place to hide from the blistering blizzard that was descending upon us. To start this story from the beginning, I'll provide you with a little narrative description of the incidents and events that are about to unfold.