The brine shrimp were hatched from cysts in seawater and placed in jars, and the algae were contained in large flasks of seawater in various concentrations, for everyone to access. The number of brine shrimp were our independent variable and the algae concentration were our dependent variable. We obtained 6 clean jars for our group in which we created our miniature ecosystems. We labeled each jar with our group name, lab section number, and replicate number. After deciding on what algae concentration we wanted to hold constant in our jars, we calculated the volume of seawater and algae solution required to achieve the desired algae concentration of 50,000 cells/mL and a total volume of 50 mL (C1V1=C2V2).
The Rf values of the other trials were not affected enough to change their corresponding amino acids. In order for this to be reduced, a more precise measuring device should be used. Systematic error seems to have played a large part in some of the outlying data points. For example, trial 1 of Buxus sempervirens and trials 2 and 3 of Stachys byzantina didn’t separate into any pigments. This could be due to the texture or the toughness of the leaf.
It is important to keep track of all of your data and format it in an organized matter. One thing that caused confusion in this experiment was jumping around from different measurements instead of going through them in order. Also there was some miscommunication in our group. Assign certain tasks to small groups within your group to eliminate some time and receive a more accurate measurement. The experiment tells us that the higher the amount of percent salt solution that’s in the volumetric flask, the higher the density will be.
3.5 liters of water 1 measuring spoon 1 ruler Procedures: Put 350 ml of water in a 500 ml cup. Add 15 ml of salt in the 500 ml cup that have 350 ml of water. Start the stop and start stir the water for 4 minute. Put one raw egg in the 500 ml cup that have 350 ml of water with 15 ml
Which is why I believe I found that most of the points on my graph were spread over a wide range. Also, the experiment required more than one piece of potato and each potato might have had more water in it or less thus affecting the mass of potato. My partner and I also had used different potatoes one can deduce that these potatoes were of different qualities. Not to mention, another factor which played a big role in affecting the outcome of my results was that the grape juice when placing it into the test tube might have not been distributed equally around the potato cylinder as I found it to be sticky and would take time to slide down when touching the test tube. So, each potato cylinders may have contained different amount of sugar thus affecting the rate of osmosis.
Our lab results on all three data table experiments had a percent error less than 5 percent. When examining these results I can be almost certain it was not systematic error due to the fact that a major percent error was not detected on every trial that was run in each of the three tables. With there being some percent error there is the possibility for random error which are from unknown factors, which could come from impact of outside forces like the air track interfering with the acceleration of the cart. Beings that this was the first lab for my lab partners and I were working there was room for slight personal errors with our use of the computer program as well as the lab equipment. How does the acceleration in Data Table 2 compare with that of Data Table 1?
All the test tubes contained in total 3 mL of solution. The following solutions’ concentrations in a tube were .1 mL of dye and 2.9 mL of water, .25 mL of dye and 2.75 mL of water, .5 mL of dye and 2.5 mL of water, 1.0 mL of dye and 2.0 mL of water, 2.0 mL of dye and 1.0 mL of water, and 3.0 mL of dye and 0 mL of water. These samples were tested by the spectrophotometer, and the absorbencies recorded. This whole process was completed twice and the absorbencies were averaged. Lastly, final concentrations and dilution factors were calculated by using the appropriate formulas.
Description: The brown shrimp exhibits sexual dimorphism in regard to growth whereas females grow larger than males. Individual specimens may attain a total length of up to 20 cm for male and 24 cm for female. The antennae of the species are significantly longer than body length. The rostrum is prominent and slightly upturned with 5-10 sharp teeth on the upper edge. The Chromatophores give the animal a brown to olive-green appearance.
Further experimentation with multiple trials could strengthen these results. Although some errors were made with the mineral solution from the filtration process, the percent error calculated for the mineral was partially accurate. The theoretical value of Cu2+was calculated to be 57.48%, while the experimental value was 50.6%. The percent error was was not below 5 percent, but it was below 20 percent, which is fairly good. This result supports that the methods used during this experiment are sound.