Analysis: Algerian Socio-Economic Turmoil

1387 Words6 Pages
Aadam Merzoug
Carmel High School
Carmel, Indiana
Algeria, Conflict
Algerian Socio-economic Turmoil The sovereign state of Algeria, being the largest country in Africa and the tenth largest country in the world, has a population of approximately 40.6 million inhabitants (BBC). About 71.9% live in an urban setting, while the other 28.1% live in rural areas of the country (CIA World Factbook). After gaining its independence from France in 1962, Algeria transformed into not only a republic, but rich in natural resources such as petroleum, natural gas, iron ore, phosphates, uranium, lead, and zinc, all of which are exported to numerous countries in Europe. On the other hand, only 3% of the land is cultivated, making Algeria to import most of
…show more content…
The present status of the socio-economic conflicts are at a very severe level. As a result of limited human rights, multiple issues have emerged between the government and citizens. Unfortunately, the violent trends have worsened over the years due to the high unemployment and spike of food prices. As a result, this affected rural and urban areas. The oppressive government, triggered protests to demand a change, which ultimately impacted the quality and quantity of food security. The corruption and violence led people to migrate to developed countries as refugees or asylees for a better and safe future. However, the people who could not leave the country immersed in depression that resulted in addiction of drugs and alcohol, and as a whole increased the crime rate. Since the lack food is still a major issue for an average algerian citizen. Industries involving with waste and pollution are unmonitored due to the corruption, due to not having an agency like the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), that is responsible of monitoring companies (World Report). These complications have overall afflicted with the infrastructure and countries perception on…show more content…
This caused the farmers to not be able to produce a sufficient amount of food to cover for the population. By fixing the dams and digging numerous wells, this will enable the farmers to grow more produce instead of importing them from overseas. The harsh weather, lack of water, and the incompatibility of the soil (sand) made up 75% of Algerian land therefore, these factors worsened the food stability in the region. By utilizing certain technologies such as irrigation systems, green houses, and fertilization, this will help increase the production of food. Additional solutions involve a treaty to restore diplomatic relations with the Maghreb region. This will act as a support system for Algeria to rebuild certain sectors of the country starting with the economy than the infrastructure. By having the Algerian government work closely with experts from developed countries, this will educate not only the government, but farmers, on how to have a sustainable

More about Analysis: Algerian Socio-Economic Turmoil

Open Document