Cfas In Dentistry

1077 Words5 Pages
First, the FIS was applied. FIS comprises of a row of five faces ranging from very unhappy to very happy. From the five images, the children were asked to point out at which face they most likely feel at that moment. Next, CFSS-DS was applied. CFSS-DS includes specific dental fear items as one of its subscale and is a modification of CFSS by Cuthbert and Melamed. The CFSS-DS consist of 15 items related to different aspects of dental treatment, such as injections, choking and drilling. Each item can be scored from 1 (not afraid at all) to 5 (very afraid). Total scores range from minimum of 15 to maximum of 75. Significant dental fear is when the score is above 38. The inclusion criteria were children between 5 to 11 years of age with good health…show more content…
The response rate of the participants were 100%. Out of the total 106 respondents, 62 (58.5%) of them were females and 44 (41.5%) of them were males, aged between 5 to 11 years with a median age of 7.9 years. 35 (33%) out of the 106 participants reported of having their first visit to the dentist while the remaining 71 (67%) have visited a dentist in the past for dental treatment. Most of the common chief complaints reported by the parents of the child participants were experience of tooth pain, presence of caries and a feeling of discomfort around the tooth region. The results were gathered through the questionnaire and the results are as…show more content…
The overall average mean CFSS-DS score was 29.8 ± 8.9. The mean CFSS-DS scores for males was 28.5 ± 7.1 and for females was 30.8 ± 9.6. Using the paired Student’s t-test (P=0.0016), it was observed that there is a statistically significant difference between males and females and mean CFSS-DS scored. It was observed that females showed the highest CFSS-DS scores, with a maximum score of 60. The mean CFSS-DS scores for patients of first visit and patient with past dental visits were 34.2 ± 10.9 and 27.7 ± 6.5 respectively. It has been observed that highly significant difference was seen between the two groups using the paired Student’s t-test (P<0.0001). Comparison between patients of first visit and patient with past dental visits show that the former have the highest CFSS-score of 60. Children are considered to be under high-fear group if the CFSS-DS scores were ≥38. 19 out of 106 (17.9%) participants were under high fear group and the remaining 87 (82.1%) were under low fear group. With regards to gender, 5 out of 44 (11.4%) male respondents and 14 out of 62 (22.6%) female respondents were under high fear group. With regards to status of visit, about 34.3% (n=12) of 35 participants of first visit were classified under high fear group, whereas only 7 out of 71 (9.9%) participants who had past dental visits were classified as children under high fear group. Upon the evaluation of CFSS-DS, it was found

More about Cfas In Dentistry

Open Document