Dental Anxiety Research

1588 Words7 Pages
it should be emphasized that these were personal assessments and there were no qualified professionals to verify or indicate the ratings of oral health of the sample population. Therefore, this data is subject to being skewed and inaccurate and should be disregarded. A study conducted in India by Appukuttan et al. explored the prevalence of dental anxiety, the factors which influence dental anxiety and dental anxiety related to tooth extraction procedures among participants at a hospital. It was centered around 1148 patients with age ranges between 18-70 years. Equivalent to the studies conducted by Naidu and Lalwah, and Saatichi et al., the MDAS was used by Appukuttan et al. to assess the level of dental anxiety of the participants. Other…show more content…
Dental phobia is majorly linked to and has a significant impact on the deterioration of oral health. Dental phobia is the main cause of fewer dentist visits. The findings of this research were compatible with the findings of the literature reviews. Additional comparisons were made to relate dental phobia to frequency of dentist visits and its relation to oral…show more content…
Although most dental procedures are not painful, people have increased stress from the time they enter a dental office. Almost half of the 77 participants are affected by dental anxiety, which accounted for 47% of the sample population. The remaining 53% of the sample population in this study claimed they are not affected by dental phobia. Males with dental phobia totaled to 28% of all participants with some form of dental phobia while females accounted for 72% of the total subjects with dental phobia, which is more than 2 times the occurrence in males. Naidu and Lalwah, Saatchi et al., Armfield et al., and Appukuttan et al. all concluded that females showed a higher occurrence of dental phobia than males. Armfield et al. obtained similar data to this study where females were more than two times more anxious than males. However, dental phobia should not be considered a gender-biased condition. Males are also affected by dental anxiety as indicated earlier. Society identifies males as less delicate and less emotional sex and so, in pressure to comply with these norms, males may have difficulty in admitting fear of non-threatening dental

More about Dental Anxiety Research

Open Document