Egyptian Building History

460 Words2 Pages
In July 19, 1936 Richmond Times-Dispatch’s Sunday magazine and book review section published the picture above depicting what’s the history of the Egyptian building medical college of Virginia: Egyptian building, Medical college of Virginia . The Egyptian Buildings lies on 1223 E. Marshall Street, built in 1844. The building was originally built for the Medical Department of Hampden-Sydney College which in 1854 became an independent entity; the Medical College of Virginia (MCV).It was famously designed by Philadelphia architect Thomas S. Stewart (1806-1889) which still is considered one of the finest extant samples of the rare “Egyptian Revival” style, marking itself as a landmark in Richmond. In 1938-39, the Richmond architectural firm of…show more content…
Thomas S. Stewart also incorporated the building’s enclosure such as granite obelisks for gateposts and a cast-iron railing running between herm figures, often mistaken for mummies. The Egyptian Building is now still used by many students, faculty, and staff on the MCV campus of VCU. The Egyptian building was known as the first permanent home of the Medical Department of Hampden-Sydney College and later the Medical College of Virginia. Considered as the finest example of Egyptian revival architecture was an addition to the national register of historic places in 1969.Originally the building housed medical lecture rooms, a dissecting room, an infirmary and hospital beds for medical and surgical cases. The buildings foundation varied from brick, stucco and cast iron. The most significant architectural features of the building are: • It’s battered walls-thinner at the top than at the bottom to give an impression of solidarity and height. •The diamond panned windows incorporated without a style break. •the columns of reeds bunched together with palm leaf

More about Egyptian Building History

Open Document