Observation #1 Mrs. Kirsty L. Horst Life Skills at James Buchanan High School Physical Arrangement: I arrived at Mrs. H’s classroom at the end of homeroom right before the bell rang for first period. The first thing I noticed was how large the room was. It was about twice the size of a normal classroom. On the front wall is a whiteboard that spans the whole length of the room. On the first section of the whiteboard near the door are the class calendar and large-print signs with the login information for Moodle and GoogleDocs.
It was 1:00 pm when I arrived at Wanamaker Elementary School. Patiently I waited outside the door. When I was finally let inside the classroom, I was welcomed by a mixture of bright smiles and blank stares. Mrs. Stark then introduced me to the class of twenty third graders. After she introduced me to the whole class, I quietly made my way to the back of the class.
When I walked into the classroom, the students were learning about the reasons settlers first came to the United States, and the reasons some picked to come to North Carolina over other colonies. It was a basic introduction to the start of colonization, which was expected as the school year had just began. The student body in Mr. Giblin’s class was quite diverse. 60 percent of students were female, while the other 40 percent were male. Out of that total percentage, 66 percent were white, 17 percent were Latino/a, 9 percent were black and eight percent were Asian.
The class reduced from its size from 50 students to 20 students because of the pacing, which was fine by me as I enjoyed classes with small amounts of people. Within the classroom itself, there were kites pasted on the top of the windows, plushy toys of Star Wars on the teacher’s desk and the clock with the numbers related to Math. The second subject was Biology, and within the classroom, there were diagrams and models of the human body
Flashback to my junior year. I sat quietly in my AP Lang class as my teacher, Mrs. Fisher, announced that the reading competition between the language arts classes called for the book count for September. She stood at the board, marker in hand, staring out expectantly at her large class. Hands shot up across the classroom, and my own nervous hand rose up to join them. Mrs. Fisher happily chalked up the small fortune of books that our class had read.
Based on classroom assessments and performance, Devan exhibits weaknesses in reading, writing and math. He requires specially designed instruction to meet grade level expectations in these areas. The frequency of special education services and support within his Regular ed. classroom has been decided as such 5 days per wk for 45 mins/reading, 2 days per wk for writing/math 60 mins within his regular education classroom. The team decided “Reg” educational placement was appropriate at this time due to the level of intensive support needed for Reading.
Along the east wall of the room, two centers were designated, one being a reading (quiet) center with two bean bag chairs and several book shelves filled with different levels (reading) books. The other center was a manipulative center, which included several puzzles, games, and interactive manipulatives. Along the south wall of the classroom was a long table with three computer stations set up on the table. On the west wall was several cabinets and shelving for teacher supplies and files. Along the north wall was the teacher desk, and another center area with bean bag chairs, and several iPads, cd players, and other technology devices.
On my first day back observing, I went to Oak Grove Elementary School. I was placed in two different classrooms. I observed Mrs. Robinson’s fourth grade classroom and Mrs. Moore’s fourth grade classroom. I was able to see two totally different types of teaching strategies and styles. All of the students were learning reading during the time that I was there.
I step into the classroom only to see my witch looking teacher with black hair and warts covering her face standing in the corner of the room. “Welcome to another day in my wonderful classroom,” Mrs.Berntson cackled. At least I wasn 't the first one in there because i heard that the first kid in the classroom gets a ‘treat’ that could possibly be poisoned. “Quickly take your seats so we can get started right
Everyday I walk into my English class is the moment I experience an identity crisis. As I approach the entrance to the class, I already detected the dichotomy in the room. On the right side lies the Caucasian students, and on the left, resides the International Chinese students. As the only Asian American in the class, I struggle to select the correct side. Being an Asian American can be conflicting sometimes; especially when you 're born in a predominately Caucasian town, but raised in a stereotypical Asian family.