Essay On Bottled Water Vs Tap Water

1096 Words5 Pages
The first person to put water in a bottle and sell it must have been a genius. How else can someone take something that is free and turn it into a multi billion dollar business? In the US a lot of people buy bottled water because they think it is better and safer for them. There is no evidence it is better for you and, indeed, it may be less safe than tap water. According to the Center for Disease control (2012) The US’s water system undergoes a vigorous series of testing. Besides not being generally safer bottled water also means more garbage and waste. It means more plastic bottles that are discarded and then end up floating in landfills or even worse in our oceans. Bottled water yields up to 1.5 million tons of plastic waste per year. The…show more content…
Companies like Pepsi and Coke spend millions of dollars to convince that there bottle is better than the tap and it’s not true. Commercials are meant to mislead consumers to steer away from tap water. They use words like “pure” that imply tap water was impure. An example of a water bottle company that misleads its consumers is Dasani. It’s packaging has images of mountains when in fact Dasani water comes from various municipal tap waters. What comes out of your tap depends on where you live in the world. Test comparing U.S. tap water to 103 different bottled water companies concluded that there is no certainty that bottled water is any safer than tap water. Tap water in the U.S is regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency while bottled water is regulated by the Food and Drug administration. The Environmental Protection Agency or EPA has tougher reporting standards than the Food and Drug Administration. So despite the money spent by big companies to convince people that bottled water is better tap water may in fact be higher quality than the bottled water. It seems as though what the public does not know is that half of all bottled water comes from tap water. Peter Gleick president of the Pacific Institute states that about 55% of water from plastic water bottles come from Springs and Deltas the remaining 45 % are from tap and other municipal sources, 18 % of bottled water brands give no information as to where their bottled water comes

More about Essay On Bottled Water Vs Tap Water

Open Document