Stereotypes: A Brief Analysis Of Generation Y Generation

1269 Words6 Pages
Generation Y A generation demographic is a way we can classify a group of people by their birth year. Every generation is influenced and shaped by things that happen while they are in their youth years and forming their main values. Events and social changes in a group affect the attitudes, beliefs, and feelings of individuals in that group. Generations, like Senior Citizens, Baby Boomers, Generation X, and Generation Y are all different in terms of how they live and view the world around them, but I will focus on Generation Y. Generation Y was shaped by tragic events such as 9/11, terrorist attacks, school shootings like Columbine, the 2004 Southeast Asian tsunami, and hurricane Katrina. Political, economic, and organizational influences…show more content…
Generation Y is the largest generation since the Baby Boomers generation. “Millennials are likely the most studied generation to date. According to U.S. Census Bureau statistics, there are plenty of them to study—80 million plus (the largest cohort size in history)” (The Millennial Generation). Generations tend to have other names they go by, for instance Generation Y is also known as the Millennial generation and has at least 30 different names as well. The Millennial generation is those who were born between 1980 and 1999 making this generation between the ages of 19 and 38 years old. In this generation of Millennials, it is shown that 51% of the generation are male, while the other 49% are female (Demographic Profile America's Gen…show more content…
Millennials have witnessed instability in the workplace, business scandals, and their parents’ jobs being downsized after loyal years of service. These market conditions and unemployment rates, almost twice that of all workers, are leading many to become entrepreneurs (The Millennial Generation). Many people of this generation are interested in entrepreneurship or are already self-employed. One-half to two-thirds of Millennials are interested in entrepreneurship, and more than one-fourth (27%) are already self-employed (The Millennial Generation). Though many are interested in becoming entrepreneurs, the challenge is having the credit or the ability to get a loan to start a new business. Millennials would also like to see Congress make it easier to start a business by providing increased access to education, training, and student loan relief (The Millennial Generation). Though many of this generation feel they have what it takes to be an entrepreneur their customer service skills are lacking. While they are great at multitasking, it often results in turning clients away because of a lack of engagement. Certain traditional elements of business interactions, particularly revolving around the human element and customer interactions, are skills to be developed (The Millennial Generation). In

More about Stereotypes: A Brief Analysis Of Generation Y Generation

Open Document