preview

Examples Of Passive Observation

Better Essays
As a student, I obtain majority of my knowledge by attending lessons at educational institution. It is a place where students attain knowledge from school-teachers and classmates, the methods includes passive observation and active experiment. It seems to me that I do this all the time, and it is not like I separate these ways of knowing. I also feel that the question is leaving out other ways I can know things, so it is not something I can agree with at this point. The first thing I think of when I see active experiment would be natural sciences. In natural sciences, experiments and observation have a close relationship. This relationship can be found in the Hypothetico-deductive model. It can be divided into four steps. Identify the hypothesis,…show more content…
An example to support this statement attending turns up when I attend History class. R.G Collingwood said that we learn three things from studying the past: “what it is to be a man, what it is to be the kind of man you are, and what it is to be the kind of man you are and nobody else" Knowledge can be gained through prior discoveries or past accidents. By analysing and interpreting past events without interfering or experiencing it by ourselves we passively observe and produce knowledge through our own perspective. However, how do we define the word passive? Is observation still be passive if our mind are actively processing and interpreting the information observed? Observation would be just data if it is not well analysed and interpreted. Passive implies a lack of action, but when we observe things our minds can be very active. So I find this hard to agree…show more content…
It is possible where when human being grow up, their mind become less conscious because they gained enough experiences and knowledge to interpret and perceive new knowledge. Sigmund Freud, the famous Austrian psychologist created a useful model of mind with three sections in a pyramid shape which represents the amount of usage for that section. The three section are conscious, sub conscious and unconscious. It shows that conscious occupies 10% of our brain capabilities, sub conscious mind accounts for around 50%-60% and the unconscious mind occupies the base of the triangle and occupied the other 30-40% of the triangle. He stated that the conscious mind communicates to the outside world and the inner self through speech, pictures, writing, physical movement, and thought. The subconscious mind, on the other hand, is in charge of our recent memories, and is in continuous contact with the resources of the unconscious mind. The unconscious mind is the storehouse of all memories and past experiences, both those that have been repressed through trauma and those that have simply been consciously forgotten and no longer important to us. The communications between the three sections provides us with the meaning to all our interactions with the world. It clearly shows that how the majority of our brain uses the unconscious section to
Get Access