Fenceline: The Ecological Model Of Health

1738 Words7 Pages
Introduction:
The film, Fenceline: A Company Town Divided by filmmakers, Slawomir Grünberg and Jane Greenberg was produced in the late 2002 (American Documentary, 2002). This film takes places in the early 2000s, in Norco, Louisiana, where racism, social status, economic depression, and pollution was prevalent (American Documentary, 2002). The Norco community is 98% a white population, the other 2% are African-American descent who live in the Diamond community (Grunberg, 2002). Both communities face a social division over the issue of that the Shell’s chemical plantation causes with the toxic chemicals it produces evaporating in the air and affecting the health of the society. The Shell’s planation is located in the middle of the Mississippi
…show more content…
The ecological model of health deals with the interaction between people and the environment focusing on the ideology that the physical geography affects our health (Cross, 2012). Health geography views health as more than the physical body but also analyzes environmental factors such as diseases and geography of health which can negatively influence our health experiences (Dummer, 2008). There are about 100 plantations and factories located by the Mississippi river, near the Diamond community (Grunberg, 2002). As a result, the air becomes heavily polluted producing a dense chemical smell directly affects the aquatic organisms and the health of individuals in that particular…show more content…
The ecological model of heath analyses the interaction between people and the environment focusing on the ideology that the physical geography affects our health. If viewed from another perspective, the film can also be studied by looking at the social model of health highlighting key issues in the Norco community concerning socioeconomic status, injustice, economics, and racism. The film, Fenceline: A Company Town Divided, illustrations the importance of communication in a society in order for individuals to expression their concerns regarding political issues to benefit one’s self as well as the rest of mankind. In the end, we all breathe the same air.
List of References:
American Documentary, Inc. (2002, January 15). Filmmaker Interview. Retrieved March 20, 2018, from http://www.pbs.org/pov/fenceline/interview/
American Documentary, Inc. (2002, January 24). Film Description. Retrieved March 20, 2018, from http://www.pbs.org/pov/fenceline/film-description/
(American Documentary, 2002)
Cross, R., Lowcock, D., Warwick-Booth, L. (2012). Contemporary Health Studies: An Introduction. Cambridge, United Kingdom: Policy

More about Fenceline: The Ecological Model Of Health

Open Document