But the difference was no bigger than 0.08, and after the values were rounded the same empirical formula was deduced. So the experiment can be concluded as successful. Evaluation: The method used was simple and easy to follow; however, it did not include how much oxygen was needed to react completely. Also it didn 't mention what magnesium oxide looked like after it finished reacting, so it was a guesswork of determining whether the reaction was finished or not. The data was handled accurately, values clearly labeled and calculated in the correct procedure.
3. 233.4 g - 228.9 g=4.5 g ∴ The actual yield was 4.5 g. 4. 4.5 g x 100% = 110% 4.102g 5. I believe that it is not common to obtain an exact 100% yield because that would mean that the chemists doing the experiment would have to do everything perfectly without any flaws. Like measuring off by a slight amount or leaving behind some of the substance if transferring it over to another flask or beaker.
When we tested methanol, triphenylmethan did not dissolve at room temperature, but did dissove when the methanol was hot, and then recrystalized into a solid when the mehtanol was cooled, so this was a suitable solvent. When we tested toluene, triphenylmethan dissolved right away at room temperature and was therefore determined to be not suitable for recrystalization. Had we been required to find a solvent for trimyristin, we would have undergone the same tests with various potential solvents for it. Extraction is the transfer of a solute from one phase to another. Adding a solvent to a solid that only dissolves certain compounds in the
Our reaction yielded 3.696% of phenacetin product. Hence, the formation of phenacetin via acetaminophen synthesis was not a success. In addition, the poor amount of product formed was not white colored crystals, instead the crystals were of black appearance. A main reason to suggest for the unsuccessful completion of phenacetin could be due to the usage of 2 mL 2.5M sodium hydroxide solution (NaOH)/H2O, instead of the recommended ethanolic sodium hydroxide solution, which was mainly recommended because of the stability and
I noticed that around 60 mm Hg in most graphs had inconsistences so I decided to take my time and understand those points, next I looked at the plots on the exam and looked at how each plot differed from mine. I also used the conventional plot to analyze the saturation change, like the way I learned in lab 12 regarding the question of Gale Bladder and Baby Sue. The approach that best worked for me is the table of values because it is simple, and straight forward. The table does not involve any interpretation; I rather have exact numbers than attempting to guess the numbers on the seating and conventional
TFCH2002 Organic Chemistry II Lab Report Experiment title: A Floral Fragrance, Methyl Benzoate Name: Conor Fitzpatrick Student number: C14740151 Course code: DT422/2 Report submission date: 02/03/16 Aims • To convert benzoic acid and produce methyl benzoate by Fischer esterification. • Learn reaction mechanism involved in esterification. Benzoic acid + methanol Methyl benzoate + water Introduction The ester functional group can be synthesized a number of different ways. These esters have very pleasant aromas and contribute greatly to the flavour and smells of many fruits. Due to this, the food industry often uses single esters to obtain synthetic flavouring agents and odours.
The hypothesis for my experiment was if colored and white candles were being burned at the same time, then the white candle would burn fastest because there are fewer chemicals in it. Gathering background information helped me in the process of creating a research plan. My research paper essentially stated that although the dyes in a candle 's wax may have a slight effect on
5-aminotetrazole monohydrate: In a 250 ml round-bottom flask equipped with a condenser for refluxing (90 °C) and a magnetic stirring bar, 5.00 g (5.95 mmol) dicyandiamide (three times crystallized), 7.47 g (11.9 mmol) sodium azide and 11.00 g (17.8 mmol) boric acid and 100 ml of water is added and allowed to reflux for 24 hours, after the completion of the reaction, until the solution pH to about 2 to 3 as hydrochloric acid 37% is added (about 12 ml) Then the reaction mixture was cooled in a refrigerator for 18 hours and the white crystals formed. The mixture was filtered and washed three times with 10 ml of water and and dried in 60 °C for 5 hours and finally 45.8 g of product by it will be obtained. 5-Aminotetrazol monohydrate: Yield:,
The temperature of the sulphuric acid was not measured throughout the experiment, however the room in which the experiment was conducted was kept constant, so the chance of any large error due to unknown temperature of the sulphuric acid was most likely reduced. The amount of sulphuric acid used was also controlled by measuring 100mL with a 100mL measuring cylinder to ensure that the results would be consistent. The volume of the agar cubes was calculated from the surface area of each agar cube, both before and after they had been in the sulphuric acid. This increased the reliability of the results as it allowed the rate of diffusion of the sulphuric acid into the agar cubes to be calculated more accurately. The concentration of the acid was 0.1M, which was placed in all three agar cubes to maintain consistency of results.
Ignite with a meker burner for about 1 hour. Complete the Ignition by keeping in a muffle furnace at 500 °C to 570 °C until grey ash results. Cool and filter through whatman filter paper No. 42 or its equivalent. Wash the residue with hot water until the washings are free from chlorides as tested with silver nitrate solution and return the filter paper and residue to the dish.