Microwave Ablation Theory

1004 Words5 Pages
CHAPTER TWO
2.0 Theoretical Framework
Microwave ablation as a recently used treatment paradigm for cancer treatment it is also known to be one of the most promising development in today’s world especially in the field of tumor ablation. Practically, in clinical procedures the microwave generator releases the Electromagnetic waves from the opened slot of the antenna. The electromagnetic microwaves emitted will cause agitation of water molecules within the tissue which results to frictional heating and thereafter cause tissue death by a process call coagulation necrosis. (Caroline J. Simon M. e., 2005)
Liver cancer as it implies, can be treated successfully through surgical procedures by removing the malignant tissues, about 90 percent of
…show more content…
Blood rich in oxygen flows to the liver through the hepatic artery from the aorta whci makes about 25% of the total blood flow in the liver and the rest 75 percent goes to the liver through the hepatic portal vein which is rich in nutrient coming from the small intestines. Blood leaves the liver via the hepatic vein. (Maini Surita…show more content…
The worldwide incidence is 4 out of 10,000 people (Maini Surita). The liver tumor as explained earlier, will receive the 95 percent of the blood supplies from hepatic artery while the normal cells/tissue receives the remaining 75 percent of blood from the portal vein and others from the hepatic artery.
Thermal Ablation is a method of tumor ablation currently used in practice which causes irreversible injuries in cells when allowed to heat beyond 460c for about 60-80 minutes. Any temperature beyond 105oc will definitely cause the tissues to boil and vaporize or even carbonize thus sabotaging the ablation effort. The ablative therapy is a reliable alternative for cancer treatments especially for patients who are ineligible for surgical procedures. The most common ablative treatments include: Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA), Coagulation Therapy , Ethanol therapy , Microwave Ablation

More about Microwave Ablation Theory

Open Document