Peanut Allergy Research Paper

924 Words4 Pages
What is it like living with an anaphylaxis peanut allergy?
I am an 18 year old male, and I fall under the 3 in every 100 Australian children that have a peanut allergy. Unfortunately for me, I am not in the 20% of children that outgrow their peanut allergy. This is because children with more severe allergic reactions, otherwise known as anaphylaxis, are much less likely to outgrow their peanut allergy. I have, however, thankfully outgrown several other milder cases of allergies such as milk, egg, legumes and ALL types of nuts apart from peanuts of course. In some cases peanut allergies do not appear until later in life, in my case it became apparent when i was 3 years old. Although i do not remember it, i have been told i was at a family friend 's
…show more content…
An allergy occurs when the immune system of a person reacts to an unknown substance in the environment that are harmless for most people. These substances are known as allergens and can be found in insects, foods, pollen, dust mites, moulds, pets and some medicines.
Atopy is the genetic, inherited, tendency to develop allergic diseases. When these atopic people are exposed to certain allergens there immune system can develop a negative reaction that leads to inflammation, redness and swelling; in other words, an allergic reaction.

What is Anaphylaxis?
The most severe form of allergic reaction is Anaphylaxis and is potentially life threatening if not treated straight away. Due to the severity of the reaction, it must be treated as a medical emergency, requiring immediate medical attention and use of an epi-pen.
Anaphylaxis is a full scale allergic reaction, which often involves multiple body systems such as cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, respiratory and skin. People diagnosed with anaphylaxis must be self informed and have an action plan in place, in case of an anaphylactic attack. An epipen is strongly recommended to be carried at all times, as when used, injects the drug epinephrine commonly known as adrenaline into the bloodstream, helping alleviate the initial bodily response of anaphylactic
…show more content…
Depending on the severity of the allergy, it is essential to understand that even in very small amounts, certain types of food can lead to a life threatening reaction. In some extremely sensitive cases, the smell of particular foods or kissing someone who had previously been in contact with the food can also lead to an allergic reaction.
Insects
The most common triggers of anaphylaxis to insect stings are jack jumper ants, wasps and bee stings. Fire ants, green ants and ticks are also often associated as triggers of anaphylaxis in susceptible individuals.
Medication
Often the most surprising trigger are specific forms of medications and medicines, both prescribed and over the counter. Specific individuals have also been identified to have anaphylactic reactions to herbal and ‘alternative’ medicines.
People who are allergic to medication are highly recommended to wear a ‘Medical Alert Bracelet’ as if they are admitted to hospital under extreme duress, for example in a car accident and they become unconscious, they would be unable to inform doctors that they are infact allergic to certain drugs, putting their life at

More about Peanut Allergy Research Paper

Open Document