Peripheral Intravenous Catheter

1821 Words8 Pages

Peripheral intravenous catheter (PIVC) is the invasive procedure that most commonly practised clinical procedure. There are over half of patients admitted to the hospital required peripheral intravascular cannula (PIVC) inserted. However, there is no data reported on the use of PIVC in Malaysia. The surveillance of the estimated used of PIVC in developing countries such as Malaysia is still under evaluated due to lack of resources and trained staff. Since, PIVC required penetration of a catheter into the bloodstream, risk of catheter blood stream infection is existed. Hospital acquired infections estimated that the catheter related infections is up to 19 times higher in low and middle income nations compared to North America in both paediatric …show more content…

The information gained from this study will be valuable in directing future policy and budget initiatives in the healthcare sector. The collaborative nature of the study will also assist in building networking opportunities and research capacity among healthcare workers in diverse environments, which will facilitate the development of further research opportunities in the future. Materials and methods An observational study design was used for this study. The study was conducted in medical, surgical, obstetric and orthopedic ward in Hospital Tunku Ampuan Afzan, Kuantan Pahang using convenience sampling method. Data were collected from February to September 2015. The total population sample that obtained from Hospital Tengku Ampuan Afzan in 2013 showed that total admission of patient was 52,806. Therefore by using Raosoft software, the number of sample size calculated was 490 with 5 % margin error, 95 % confidence interval and 50% response distributions. The inclusion criteria for this study were the patients must be an adult male or female who already hospitalized in HTAA. Besides, the patient must has peripheral intravenous catheter intact upon assessment and patients have to agree and signed the written informed consent before the assessment is done. Whereas, the paediatrics patients excluded from this …show more content…

More than half of the PIVC insertion were for IV fluids purposes (62.4%), followed by IV medication purposes (31.8%), blood product transfusion purposes (3.1%), taking blood purposes (2.2%) and only 0.4% for chemotherapy. PIVC insertion were dominated by doctors where, over half of the PIVC insertion were inserted by the doctors (84.5%) and only 15.5% were inserted by nurses. 91.8% out of 490 respondents were placed in the PIVC in the general wards whereas the other 8.2% were recorded to puncture at the emergency

Show More

More about Peripheral Intravenous Catheter

Open Document