Before this experiment was conducted I hypothesized for the flame test was if I increased the temperature on an unknown compound solution then the cation will be able to be identified by the color the flame. My hypothesis for the flame test was supported as I was able to identify the cation by the color the flame produced. My hypothesis for the precipitate test was if I use an unknown compound solution then the anion will be able to be identified by the type of chemical reaction it produces for the precipitate test. My hypothesis was supported for the precipitate test as I was able to identify the anion by the type of chemical reaction it produced. During the flame test, the cation was able to be identified by the color of the flame it produced from my previous tests results I was able to conclude that unknown solution A’s cation was calcium and unknown solution B’s cation was copper.
To prepare an activity series of the metals based on the observations from the above reactions. Apparatus : Spatula, Test tube, 150ml beaker Materials : Magnesium ribbon, phenolphthalein indicator, 6M HCl, Gra Procedure : The Group 2A Elements : Alkaline Earth Metals-Magnesium and Calcium 1. A piece of magnesium ribbon was acquired. A test tube is filled up with 5ml of water. A few drops of phenolphthalein indicator is added into the test tube that was filled with 5ml of water.
This test is performed on-site, as delays between sample collection and testing may result in an alteration in oxygen content. The process includes divalent manganese salt precipitation by strong alkali to divalent manganese hydroxide. Next is the addition of potassium iodide or potassium hydroxide to create a pinkish brown precipitate.
Balanced chemical equation for the formation of copper sulfide from copper and sulfur. First, we set up the equation xCu(s) + yS(s)→ CuxSy (s) . We knew the empirical formula for copper sulfide is Cu2S. Based on the law of conservation of matter, we got the balanced equation: 2Cu + S = Cu2S 9.Percentage Error
Using a toothpick, you submerged the metals in the liquid and ensured they did not touch. After 1-2 minutes results were recorded in a observation table. The independent variable in this reaction is the amount of copper wire, magnesium ribbon, and zinc metal (powder form) and the 1/3 filled wells of copper (II) nitrate, magnesium nitrate, or zinc nitrate. The dependent variable in this reaction is the reaction that occured between the metals and the solution. Part B: Using the same experimental design as part A, three drops of sodium
TLC was used to identify the actual unknown product as well as other products/reactants present in the filtered solution. The procedure was conducted by placing a TLC plate in a developing chamber that is filled with a small amount of solvent. The solvent cannot be too polar because it will cause spotted compounds on the TLC plate to rise up too fast, while a very non-polar solvent will not allow the spots to move. The polarity of the spots also determines how far it moves on the plate; non-polar spots are higher than polar ones. After spots on the TLC form, the Rf values are calculated and used to analyze the similarity of the compounds.
4.9 Characterization of silver nanoparticles 4.9.1 UV- Visible spectra analysis The reduction of metallic Ag+ ions was monitored by measuring the UV- Visible spectrum after about 16 hours of reaction. The UV beams emitted upon the samples and its absorbed values were detected by sensors eventually provides the wavelength from 200nm to 800nm in Ultra visible
Then test tubes A and C contained bromine. Test tube A was placed under the light and test tube C was placed in the dark. After the reactions occurred, test tube A was the only test tube that contained a white solid and was vacuum filtered. It was then washed with DCM and the leftover substance was the product. Capillary tubes were then obtained and filled with the solid product.
Each tube was then dragged into the spectrophotometer to be analyzed. A data point for each analyzed tube was placed on the graph to show the optical density and glucose concentrations. After graphing this data, part two needed to be completed. To start, 5 different test tubes were filled with 3 drops of 5 different patients blood followed by 5 drops of deionized water. Next, 5 drops of Barium Hydroxide was placed in each tube to clear proteins and cell membranes for an accurate reading could be made.
A slight error in the indicator can shift the endpoint and consequently affects the volume of the obtained NaOH. Lastly, the final source of error of this experiment is misjudging the color of the indicator near the endpoint. The color change is very intricate that even a small amount of the standard solution can produce different shades of the color. With these uncertainties, a 23.3 % error was committed given that the theoretical molar concentration of acetic acid in the the vinegar sample is