Social And Economic Effects Of The Protestant Reformation

963 Words4 Pages
Sanchez, Kimberly AP Euro, Period 5 September 26, 2015 Protestant Reformation Effects The Protestant Reformation ignited like a wildfire in the sixteenth century. It was started by Martin Luther when the church began putting prices on the forgiveness of God in 1517; this opposed Protestant beliefs that salvation came through the sole belief in Christ, not through penance and other actions. The reformation was later introduced to Switzerland by Swiss humanist, Ulrich Zwingli on January 1st, 1519. In 1521, Germany revolted against Rome on January 3rd having the polls be 90% with Luther, and the other 10% not caring about Luther but wanting the Roman Court to be executed. Luther later appeared before Charles V’s Diet of Worms and stated “Unless…show more content…
The peasant revolts with an economical result because during the sixteenth century, the amount of people becoming peasants grew rapidly due to crop failures in 1523 and 1524. As a result to these situations, Swabian peasants created the Twelve Articles expressing their issues with the lay and ecclestial lords. These nobles had stolen public lands in villages, adding new rents of properties, expanded the amount of work a peasant would need to perform of the nobleman’s land, and forced the insolvent peasants to pay them in the deaths of their best cattle. These unjust actions led to Luther’s An Admonition to Peace, that stated “We have no one on earth to thank for this mischievous rebellion, except you lords and princes, especially you blind bishops and mad priests and monks… In your government you do nothing but flay and rob your subjects in order that you may lead a life of splendor and pride, until the poor common folk can bear it no longer“ (461). This parchment peacefully pointed out the hypocrisy the nobles had done by 1525. With this document, the cruel nobility became known across Europe. Another outcome of the Protestant Reformation was that the printing press became significant because they begin being sold and used at an surplused rate.They became used more often to ‘send and spread Luther’s message all over Europe” (461). Since there was now an increased selling rate of these printing presses, the companies who sold them came into a larger income affecting Europe economically. This would affect Europe because there would be more taxes going to the papacy due to incoming money going to pay for the making, selling, and endorsing of these machines. Third point with evidence then
Open Document