The Effects Of Stereotyping

1468 Words6 Pages
“Stereotypes are unchanging, oversimplified, and usually distorted beliefs about groups of people.” Humans always tend to organize and simplify their surroundings. These surroundings are not limited to rooms, houses and offices. Social relationships could also be falsely simplified and organized using stereotypes. And by organizing I mean classifying your interactions. For example, you do not let your children play with Hispanics because they are vulgar but instead, you allow them to play with Europeans because they are more civilized. You refuse to employ an African because you falsely accuse him of being lazy and you employ a German who you believe is a restless workaholic. You panic and get afraid whenever you see a Muslim as you for your false belief that he is a dangerous terrorist so you decide to humiliate him for another, unrelated people’s actions. The reason behind all these irrational decisions is stereotyping. Stereotyping is mostly caused by the formation of a person’s comfort zone. Some people are…show more content…
They are mistakenly thought of in every single aspect of their life. First of all, not all Indian men are dark skinned and have curly hair. There are a lot of men who have fair skin and slick hair, Amitabh Bachchan most notably. Second, Indians do not eat thick, spicy masala curry every day. In fact, a lot of people have balanced diets consisting of “da l/ sambar, rice, chapattis / rotis with cooked vegetables (mildly spiced / stir fried) or fish / meat.” Third, not all Indians are vegetarians. Some Indians worship cows but not all of them. There are people who eat them normally. In fact Indians consume 30 percent of the available cows and export the remaining 70 percent making them the biggest cow supplier in the world. Fourth, not every Indian from the 250 million English speakers in India has that accent that they are mistakenly linked

More about The Effects Of Stereotyping

Open Document