The Importance Of Health Management

964 Words4 Pages
The study examined the improved leadership skills and services delivered by frontline health workers in Kyenjojo District, Rwenzori Region in Western Uganda. This starts with the background to the study, statement of the problem, research objectives and questions, significance of the study, scope and the conceptual framework.
1.1 Background to the study
1.1.1 Historical perspective
Across the globe, healthcare systems continue to struggle with increasing demands for leadership skills and service delivery. It is for these variables that (Storey & Holti, 2013) link effective leadership in healthcare systems with a wide range of functions. The two authors noted that it is a requirement for hospitals or healthcare units to employ trained
…show more content…
Recent health inquiries, commissions and reports highlight that leadership skills and service delivery are synonymous in any healthcare unit. In Australia, Nurse Unit Manager (NUM) position has been reviewed significantly and redesigned to enable NUM to undertake leadership in supervision of patients and to ensure that 70% of NUM’s time is applied to duties and services to patients. The remaining 30% of the time is meant to be spent on administrative and management tasks. In UK, recommendations have been implemented in similar positions. Ward nurse managers spend 85% in healthcare services, and the rest (15%) in administration. In the United States, leadership skills have been identified as key driver to health service and performance, with the Committee on Quality of Healthcare suggesting considerable improvements in leadership skills so as to deliver quality…show more content…
Transformation theory states that leaders use leadership skills in order to change the conditions of individuals and the social systems as well. According to this study, frontline health workers use approaches or skills gained from the additional training in order to improve the conditions of the patients and hospitals where they serve. Transformation leadership theory stipulates the main aim of the leaders as to inspire and attract the people from different areas to use their services. It is within their operative skills that this can be achieved.
In addition, fulfillment was used to express the extent to which clients are satisfied. This theory shows difference between real outcome and other ideal or desired outcomes from the patients. In doing so, transformation leadership theory is evaluated and leaders (frontline workers) therefore know the outcomes from their services basing on the satisfaction nature of the patients. This measured the attitudes among the patients or people receiving the services from the frontline health workers.
Lastly, the study used expectancy – disconfirmation. This theory reveals that some patients already have their own judgment before treatment. It brings the preconceived ideas of the patients or the people receiving the services from the frontline health workers. It is therefore the

More about The Importance Of Health Management

Open Document