What Is The Locavore Movement

1195 Words5 Pages
Cameron Valentine ENGL 1B Professor Harris April 24, 2014 Behind the Scenes of Locavores A person interested in eating, shopping, and living off the land of their local community is considered a locavore. Groups of these people have begun to join together to make up a so called movement known as the Locavore Movement. It originally began in San Francisco and is slowly attempting to spread across the globe(wikipedia.com). The people involved in this movement are concerned as to where their food comes from and interested in knowing the people involved in its production. Unfortunately for locavores the majority of people around the world do not think or care about the origins of their food. Locavores claim their diet to be more healthy,…show more content…
There are many reasons why people become vegetarians and vegans such as religion, tradition, or moral beliefs. These are very influential forces that would drive one to become a locavore. The Locavore Movement can be convenient for vegetarians and vegans, since the majority of famers’ markets do not sell meat. Very few grocery stores sell locally raised meat and most farmers ' markets only offer fruits, vegetables, herbs, and spices. For most people, these products cannot provide a sufficient amount of calories or protein. Humans need high quality proteins in order for the body to function efficiently. The four major meat companies: Tyson, Cargill, JBS, and National Beef control about 80 percent of all beef distributed in the United States(hcn.org). Where does one even begin their search to find the remaining 20 percent in their local area? There may be a couple family owed restaurants that serve neighborhood cattle, but a normal family is not going to go eat at these places every single night. The cost of going out to eat can accumulate rapidly and after a while most people would get tired of going to the same place…show more content…
"Math Lessons for Locavores." The New York Times. The New York Times, 19 Aug. 2010. Web. 21 Apr. 2014. "Locavore: The Pros and Cons of Becoming One." Page River Bottom Farm. Page River Bottom Farm, n.d. Web. 21 Apr. 2014. Miller, James S. "Ethics: Eating Locally/Thinking Globally." The Eater Reader. Boston, MA.: Longman, 2011. 83-87. Print. "The Big Four Meatpackers." — High Country News. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Mar. 2014. Valentine, Cameron. "Alum Rock Farmers ' Market." YouTube. YouTube, 12 Feb. 2014. Web. 12 Feb. 2014. Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 25 Mar. 2014. Woolston, Chris. "What Are Your Odds of a Heart Attack?" Heart Attack|. N.p., 23 Apr. 2008. Web. 21

More about What Is The Locavore Movement

Open Document