Online Literary Criticism Collection
Cotton Mather (1663 – 1728)
|Nationality: American||Periods: American: 1600-1783|
Clergyman, theologian and writer
- Shifting Signs: Increase Mather and the Comets of 1680 and 1682
- “In November of 1680, a large comet appeared in the morning sky over Boston. Visible over New England until mid-February, this ‘Blazing Star’ prompted the Reverend Increase Mather to provide the Puritans of Boston with a theological explanation of the phenomenon. In the subsequent sermon Heaven’s Alarm to the World (1681), Mather sternly equates the appearance of the comet as a sign of God’s displeasure and a herald of some mysterious calamity destined to fall upon the Boston populace. Less than two years later a second comet appeared over the Boston skyline, once again prompting Increase Mather to deliver a public sermon concerning the divine and portentous nature of comets. While this second sermon, The Voice of God in Signal Providences(1682), retains much of the traditional theology evident in ‘Heaven’s Alarm,’ Mather’s ‘reading’ of the heavenly sign in “Signal Providences” undergoes an interpretive shift as the minister adapts his rhetorical position to acknowledge what he sees as a linguistic component to the comet’s presence.”
- Contains: Criticism
- Author: Andrew P. Williams
- From: Early Modern Literary Studies 1.3 (1995): 4.1-34
- Mather, Cotton
- A n encyclopedia entry on Mather.
- Contains: Sketch
- Author: Columbia University Press
- From: The Columbia Encyclopedia Sixth Edition. 2001.
Sorry. There are no other sites about Cotton Mather in the collection; do you know of any that you can recommend?
Couldn’t find the information you were looking for?
Use these links to search for Cotton Mather outside the IPL.
Click a link below to automatically search that site for Cotton Mather:
Cotton Mather on the About network:
Factual information on Cotton Mather:
Search engines are also a great place to start research,
but they can lead to many commercial
and/or non-authoritative resources.
Alta Vista | Google | Yahoo!
Ixquick Metasearch |
All the Web.com |
Mamma Metasearch |
Find Cotton Mather‘s works in libraries:
Last Updated Apr 29, 2013