Poison Proofing Tips
Here are some helpful hints to help you poison proof where you live, work, or go school.
- Install safety latches on all cupboards containing harmful products.
- Keep all products in thier original container.(not in pop bottles, cups etc.)
- Never refer to medicine as candy.
- Discard old medicines safely and responsibly. (Don’t pour them down the drain or in the toilet, as they may then contaminate the water supply.)
- Rinse empty containers and dispose of them properly.
- Never take or give medicines in the dark.
- Purchase products with child-resistant caps when possible.
- Store cleaning supplies out of reach and out of sight of children.
- Don’t store medicines or cleaning agents near food.
- Keep poison control center, physician and hospital phone numbers readily available.
- Keep syrup of ipecac on hand; call your local poison control center, physician or hospital prior to use.
When you are poison proofing your home, or taking a safety tour with young children, consider the following checklist of things to be concerned about. While this is not an exhaustive list, it’s a good starting point.
It can be especially useful when talking with children to ask them to point out poisons. Use this list to get things rolling.
| LAUNDRY ROOM
|| CLOSET/STORAGE SPACES