Target Corporation Swot Analysis Paper

970 Words4 Pages

Company History
In 1881, native New Yorker George Draper Dayton decides to explore the growing Midwest markets. After several years in banking and real estate, Dayton decides Minneapolis offers the strongest opportunities for growth. He purchases land on Nicollet Avenue and forms the Dayton Dry Goods Company–today, known as Target Corporation. Founded by George Draper Dayton in 1902, Target Corporation is an American retailing company, and headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota which has got variety of products in categories of clothing, jewelry, electronics, toys, games, sports, movies, furniture, grocery, health, beauty, pharmacy etc. It is the second-largest discount retailer in the United States, Walmart being the largest. The company …show more content…

It sold retail chains Marshall Field's and Mervyn's in 2004. As of January 2015, Target had 1795 stores and 38 distribution centers in the United States with an employee count of 366,000. In December 2013, a data breach of Target's systems affected up to 110 million customers. Canada, Target's first international market, accounts for about 2% of its total sales. The United States accounts for the remaining 98%. (Target's biggest markets by total sales are California, Texas, and Florida.) The retailer opened about 125 locations in Canada in 2013 but is closing stores in this country after losing billions there. The chain has 40 distribution …show more content…

The Target GiftCard is the retailing division's stored-value card or gift card. The unique designs of their cards contribute to their higher sales, as well as Target's policy of no expiration dates or service fees.
The strategy to provide red card has helped the company making their customer spend money exclusively at their stores. Being a Target REDcard customer, people would always prefer Target over other retail stores, because of free shipping, extra return days and 5% discount on bills.
This also helps them track the customer data and purchases, by associating a cookie mapped with the user’s ID. They can make recommendations and advertise specific offers to customers as per their old purchases as well as search history.
Weekly ad

Open Document