The purpose of this experiment is to perform a two step reductive amination using o-vanillin with p-toluidine to synthesize an imine derivative. In this experiment, 0.386 g of o-vanillin and 0.276 g of p-toluidine were mixed into an Erlenmeyer flask. The o-vanillin turned from a green powder to orange layer as it mixed with p-toludine, which was originally a white solid. Ethanol was added as a solvent for this reaction. Sodium borohydride was added in slow portion as the reducing agent, dissolving the precipitate into a yellowish lime solution.
This was repeated until no more gas was released. Next, the funnel was suspended through a ring, and 10 ml of 5% sodium hydroxide was added. When the two layers were separated in the separatory funnel, the aqueous layer was identified. The two layers were then separated into two different beakers. The water layer was acidified by adding concentrated hydrochloric
Crystal violet was then added for 60 seconds before being washed off with water. The mordant, Gram’s Iodine, was added for another 60 seconds before getting washed off with water. The heat fixed smear was then washed with 95% alcohol until the wash ran clear, leading to the final step of adding Safranin for 45 seconds before being rinsed with water. The slide was finally blot dyed with bibulous paper before it was placed under a microscope to observe the color and shape of the bacterium. 2.2 Litmus Milk Reaction A milk-based, litmus broth tube is incubated and observed after 48 hours.
We then slowly added 25ml of chilled deionised water to the filtrate to initiate crystallization by using a measuring cylinder and a dropping pipette, once we had done this we left it for about 10 minutes to allow crystallization at room temperature. We then weighed a filter paper which we will use later in the experiment. We then collected the crystallized acetylsalicylic acid by vacuum filtration in a Buchner funnel and washed the product with a little ice-cold water. We then pre-weighed a clean, empty watch glass and labelled it with our initials and the date, we did this do we could easily identify that it was ours when we go to weigh it with the crystals on. We
The volumetric flask was then filled up to its 100 mL mark with deionized water. The buret was washed out with dionized water and then with the strong base NaOH before being filled up with NaOH. About 20 mL of the unknown weak acid was pipetted into a beaker. The starting volume of the NaOH in the buret was recorded before about 4 mL of the strong base was titrated into the weak acid solution. The final volume was recorded.
Introduction During this experiment, the mass of copper was weighed in grams. It was measured with sodium hydroxide, sulfuric acid, zinc, hydrochloric acid, methanol, and acetone. The main instruments used in this experiment was a balance, beaker, stirring rod, evaporating dish, wire gauze, ring stand, graduated cylinder, copper wire, nitric acid, hydrochloric acid, water, sodium hydroxide, zinc, sulfuric acid, and a hot plate. By finding the raw data, the percent recovered was able to be calculated. Theory The equation that was used in this experiment is % recovered = 100% X m/m0.
Abstract The purpose of this lab was to identify the unknown and find out which solution is solubility. The test was done to determine the identity of the compound include solubility test, flame test, formation of precipitate and last PH test. It was found that the unknown compound smell like chorine, was soluble in water. The flame test matches the color of calcium chorine indicating that the unknown compound contained chorine, also the anion test sodium chorine proved to be positive. Resulting in the experiment that the unknown compound was chorine.
Experiment 2 Report Scaffold (Substitution Reactions, Purification, and Identification) Purpose/Introduction 1. A Sn2 reaction was conducted; this involved benzyl bromide, sodium hydroxide, an unknown compound and ethanol through reflux technique, mel-temp recordings, recrystallization, and analysis of TLC plates. 2. There was one unknown compound in the reaction that was later discovered after a series of techniques described above. 3.
The experiment began by setting up the LabQuest and preparing a 2M solution of HCl and a 2M solution of NaOH. This was called “Part A”. Two general rules were noted throughout the experiment: add acid to water and pour stock solution into beaker before graduated cylinder. This prevented flash-boiling of the solution, chemical burns, and spills. To make the 2M HCl solution, 200mL deionized water was added to a 600mL beaker labelled “2M HCl” by using a graduated cylinder.
Abstract In this experiment, the reaction kinetics of the hydrolysis of t-butyl chloride, (CH3)3CCl, was studied. The experiment was to determine the rate constant of the reaction, as well as the effects of solvent composition on the rate of reaction. A 50/50 V/V isopropanol/water solvent mixture was prepared and 1cm3 of (CH3)3CCl was added. At specific instances, aliquots of the reaction mixture were withdrawn and quenched with acetone. In addition, phenolphthalein was added as an indicator.