When its released on 19 December1997, audiences spend close to two billion dollars worldwide to see the film, shattering box office records and obliterating the studio’s expectations. It would go on to win eleven Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director. Its success leaves one to wonder how a film seemingly destined for failure could end up redefining what it means to be a blockbuster. Apart from that, Titanic also achieved critical and commercial success. Nominated for fourteen Academy Awards, it tied All About Eve (1950) for the most Oscar nominations, and won eleven, including the
Does Nancy Pelosi ever listen to herself? She talks incessantly about income inequality, and one of her favorite topics of all time is talking about the privileged wealthy and all the breaks they get. Pelosi can be seen on countless hours of video clips calling for the top one percent of wealthy Americans to pay their fair share of taxes. In a true tale of the pot calling the kettle black, Pelosi is the richest woman in Congress AND the seventh wealthiest member of Congress overall. Her net worth exceeds $100 million, mainly because her husband Paul Pelosi is a very savvy venture capitalist and investor in real estate.
Here are 15 such gems carefully picked for your reading pleasure. The making of the movie Titanic cost more than building of the actual ship, Titanic. Titanic is a romantic disaster movie directed by James Cameron. The movie had several interesting facts attached to it. The movie was made on a budget of 200 million USD.
Having dreamt of owning his own large business for his entire life, John’s relentless work ethic allowed him to achieve his American Dream while living in a community which boasted a 7.4% unemployment rate at the time. The unemployment rate of John’s hometown, Queens, has now decreased to barely above national average at 4.3%, but is now plagued by another problem; income inequality. This problem is occurring all across our nation, hurting the American Dream. The top 20% wealthiest of the U.S.’ population owns almost 86% of the countries wealth, leaving only 14% for the bottom 80%. This means that there is much less money left for the lower classes to increase their standing and achieve
The individual investor has advantages that make it possible to match or even outperform professional investors and even the greatest investor who has ever lived. Warren Buffett is one of the best investors who has ever lived. If an investor had invested $10,00 with him in 1964 when his company’s stock was just $12.37 a share, he or she would be sitting on $237 million today. One share of Berkshire Hathaway stock now sells for nearly $250,000. Many try to do what Buffett has done, but few can beat him.
Much like in a sport, a player must work well with a team, must be the best at what they do, and must be disciplined. The pros get their money much like the way players in MLB or NFL make theirs. The highest paid professional gamer made/makes 400,000 a year, but regular pros make around 85,000 – 100,000 a year. This salary is towards the bottom. (Mike, 2014) The money comes from a combination of streaming, playing, and winnings.
The same with many other professions, products and services that are in high demand. If in the other hand you do something that anyone can do, then your perceived value by society will be too low. Unless you become very good at it, you won´t make a lot of money. Then you have the second
We loved to watch our favorite athletes win a championship. But athletes are paid an insane amount of money today. Athletes should not be paid huge amounts of money because many athletes only work for 5-10 years and make more than one family in a decade, are sports really so important that we should spend trillions of dollars every year on them, and there are more important career paths that deserve better recognition and better pay. How
He had also said “You’re the greatest competitor I ever saw”. (Denenburg 75). Jackie was voted one of the best players in the game. His two million votes was at the top of the 1949 All-Star team. He was named as the Most Valuable Player in the National League.
In endorsement fees, Michael Jordan made about 40 million dollars a year from companies like Nike, McDonald's, Hanes and General Mills. This made him one of the top celebrity endorsers ever (Kambitsis et al., 2002: 156). Nonetheless, it is argued that Jordan, to secure major product endorsements targeted to a broad audience, was a part in defeating racial barriers (Ruihley et al., 2010: 135). 22.214.171.124Negatively effective cases Along with Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods signed endorsement contracts worth $70 million or more with American Express, Nike, etc. (Kambitsis et al., 2002: 156).