Links immediately following the image of the American Flag ( ) are links to other POTUS sites. All other links lead to sites elsewhere on the Web.
30th President of the United States
Nickname: "Silent Cal"
Born: July 4, 1872, in Plymouth, Vermont
Father: John Calvin Coolidge
Mother: Victoria Josephine Moor Coolidge
Married: Grace Anna Goodhue (1879-1957), on October 4, 1905
Children:John Coolidge (1906-2000); Calvin Coolidge, Jr. (1908-24)
Education: Graduated from Amherst College (1895)
Political Party: Republican
Other Government Positions:
- Northampton, MA City Councilman, 1899
- City Solicitor, 1900-01
- Clerk of Courts, 1904
- Member of Massachusetts Legislature, 1907-08
- Mayor of Northampton, MA, 1910-11
- Member of Massachusetts Legislature, 1912-15
- Lieutenant-Governor of Massachusetts, 1916-18
- Governor of Massachusetts, 1919-20
- Vice President, 1921-23 (under Harding)
Presidential Salary: $75,000/year
|Year||Popular Votes||Electoral Votes|
|John W. Davis||8,385,283||136|
|Robert M. LaFollette||4,831,289||13|
Vice President: Charles G. Dawes (1925-29)
- Secretary of State
- Charles Evans Hughes (1923-25)
- Frank B. Kellogg (1925-29)
- Secretary of the Treasury
- Andrew W. Mellon (1923-29)
- Secretary of War
- John W. Weeks (1923-25)
- Dwight F. Davis (1925-29)
- Attorney General
- Harry M. Daugherty (1923-24)
- Harlan F. Stone (1924-25)
- John G. Sargent (1925-29)
- Postmaster General
- Harry S. New (1923-29)
- Secretary of the Navy
- Edwin Denby (1923-24)
- Curtis D. Wilbur (1924-29)
- Secretary of the Interior
- Hubert Work (1923-28)
- Roy O. West (1929)
- Secretary of Agriculture
- Henry C. Wallace (1923-24)
- Howard M. Gore (1924-25)
- William M. Jardine (1925-29)
- Secretary of Commerce
- Herbert C. Hoover (1923-28)
- William F. Whiting (1928-29)
- Secretary of Labor
- James J. Davis (1923-29)
Supreme Court Appointments:
- Associate Justice
- Harlan Fiske Stone (1925-41)
- Calvin Coolidge — from The Presidents of the United States of America
- Compiled by the White House.
- Calvin Coolidge — from American Presidents: Life Portraits — C-SPAN
- Biographical information, trivia, key events, video, and other reference materials. Website created to accompany C-SPAN’s 20th Anniversary Television Series, American Presidents: Life Portraits.
- Calvin Coolidge — from The American President
- From the Miller Center of Public Affairs at the University of Virginia, in addition to information on the Presidents themselves, they have first lady and cabinet member biographies, listings of presidential staff and advisers, and timelines detailing significant events in the lives of each administration.
- Price of the Presidency — by Richard Norton Smith
- From the January 1996 issue of Yankee Magazine, this biography focuses on Coolidge’s character.
- From a 1920 Fourth of July speech delivered before he was nominated to run for Vice President. Taken from one of the very first sound films ever made. (4:12)
- From the Vincent Voice Library at Michigan State University.
- "Law and Order" from the 1920 election campaign
- From the Library of Congress Voices of the Presidential Election of 1920.
©1996-2008. Robert S. Summers. All rights reserved.